hi im new please help

• 26 Replies

diddy dave

hi im new please help
« on: February 17, 2008, 20:41 »
hi all im david im new 2 all this ive just got a allotment ive dug it over i have 20.00 to spend 2moz what seeds can i get 2 plant veg seeds that is ive got a spade and fork and a shed o and a howe........ all advice will be good thanks dave p.s. sorry about the spelling.......... :?

digby

• Experienced Member
hi im new please help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 20:59 »
Hi,

The best advice is to plant what you know you will eat.  There is no point planting a row of Beetroot, if no one in your family likes them.

That said, at the moment I have some 1st early potatoes ready to go in, and broad beans can be planted now, runner beans are always a favourite in our house (plant end of April/May time) and Sweet corn was a great success last year.

I have often found the most cost effective veg to grow is Brussel Sprouts.  But I can only do these every other year as I only have a small back garden and we have a seemingly infinate number of rabbits on the allotment who eat them before I can.

Chatting with fellow allotmenteers is a good option as they will know what grows well on your site and may also give you some of their surplus.

Good luck with whatever you decide to grow.

D xx

Clampit

hi im new please help
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 21:03 »
You're best growing veg that you like, no point growing sprouts if you are'nt going to eat them. I try to go for crops that will give me all year round veg. What I did is look at the seed catalogues on line and work out what plants are harvested when and made my mind up from there.

Trillium

hi im new please help
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 21:04 »
Many other plot holders mention they get surplus plants from fellow lotty holders. Some allotments even have their own mini supply stores with supposedly cheaper seeds, etc. Also, when you decide what you like to eat, watch newspapers and such for seed sales near you and invest in only what you're sure to eat and doesn't take up loads of space. i say this because once the rest of us are in seed stores, we spend far more than we need or can afford  :oops:  It's a common ailment among growers :wink:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
hi im new please help
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 21:11 »
Hiya Diddy Dave welcome to the forums  :D

register with your local freecycle group, plenty of people give away seed trays pots garden tools etc. and seeds, plants.

Like everyone else says grow only what you will eat, do you have a wilko's near you they are pretty reasonable fro seeds 3 for 2 at the mo, plenty of other store do the same kind of thing don't buy mail order unless you have to postage costs can be high or better still does your site have an allotment shop ?

Don't worry about your spelling we are gardeners here, not literary critics  :D  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

gobs

hi im new please help
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 21:12 »
Plenty of cheep seed to be picked up at lidl, aldi, wilkos and supis all over(not that good choice as the other three), you can get real cheap onion and pot sets from lottie shops and Wilko and B &Q. Have a look round and decide what you are buying after, to stay on budget.

Also post in Swap shop, a lot of people have seed they want to lose. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gobs

hi im new please help
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 21:14 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"

register with your local freecycle group, plenty of people give away seed trays pots garden tools etc. and seeds, plants.

Like everyone else says grow only what you will eat, do you have a wilko's near you they are pretty reasonable fro seeds 3 for 2 at the mo, plenty of other store do the same kind of thing don't buy mail order unless you have to postage costs can be high or better still does your site have an allotment shop ?

Don't worry about your spelling we are gardeners here, not literary critics  :D  :lol:

Ahem,.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
hi im new please help
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 21:24 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "richyrich7"

Ahem,.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:roll: apart from gobs of course  :wink:

diddy dave

hi im new please help
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 21:46 »
thanks guys i will have a warlk down 2moz i carnt wait 2 get stuck in get the rest of the weeds out move the broken glass and shift all the other trash people have left the bloke b4 was growing plants that he shouldnt have :shock: so the police left it in a mess 2 say the least :(  i was chating 2 the bloke next 2 me on how his onions smelt the people the other side seem a we bit stuck up as i went 2 say hellow they looked up saw a 21 year old skin head and blatently ignored me :cry:  not 2 worry i will c my parsnips r bigger than his ha ha :D  many thanks 2 all that have helpd .........

noshed

hi im new please help
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 22:03 »
Hi Dave - whereabouts are you roughly? Obviously if you're in Iceland we might give you different advice (eg watch out for dodgy geysers) than if you are in Hackney (eg watch out for dodgy geezers).
Sorry, I just thought of that.
Welcome and good luck with the seed buying. I get some from the 99p shop.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

andyandyjohnson

Re: hi im new please help
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 22:10 »
Quote from: "diddy dave"
hi all im david im new 2 all this ive just got a allotment ive dug it over i have 20.00 to spend 2moz what seeds can i get 2 plant veg seeds that is ive got a spade and fork and a shed o and a howe........ all advice will be good thanks dave p.s. sorry about the spelling.......... :?

Hi Diddy Dave,

B and Q have some very cheap seeds at the moment. 99p per pack or multipacks for about 2.50. You could also try Aldi who are selling packs of seeds for 29p, I can't vouch for the quality though.
Thanks

Andy

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
hi im new please help
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 22:14 »
Andy, I've used aldi's seeds before and I've found they are fine TBH  :D

matron

hi im new please help
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 22:43 »
Quote from: "diddy dave"
thanks guys i will have a warlk down 2moz i carnt wait 2 get stuck in get the rest of the weeds out move the broken glass and shift all the other trash people have left the bloke b4 was growing plants that he shouldnt have :shock: so the police left it in a mess 2 say the least :(  i was chating 2 the bloke next 2 me on how his onions smelt the people the other side seem a we bit stuck up as i went 2 say hellow they looked up saw a 21 year old skin head and blatently ignored me :cry:  not 2 worry i will c my parsnips r bigger than his ha ha :D  many thanks 2 all that have helpd .........

If people don't want to know what is on the inside it is their loss. My 18 year old has long hair and is just getting tattoos. If you saw him in the street you would probably cross over but I know him and his mates and they are very caring people.  GROW THEM VEG BIG  :lol:  :lol:

diddy dave

hi im new please help
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 22:49 »
hi im in stoke on trent 4 some reason :lol:  i bike past a aldi and a neto so mite pop in 2moz......... i like peas, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower, tatas, carrots, runer beans, tom's and the wife likes sprouts onions leeks most things we have a 9month old son who we feed nothing else apart from veg and little bits of meat o and milk....... so it would be nice 2 bring my son up on veg his dad has grown........... :!:

Ice

• muck spreader
hi im new please help
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 22:54 »
Hi there.  As a skinhead moll from the seventies I welcome you.  All the blokes were very smart back then in their Ben Sherman shirts and crombies.  Not one of us had the least inclination to cause trouble, it was a fashion thing.  Before that I was a hippy that wore an Afghan coat.

Good luck to you and stick in there.  Give the old farts a shock and then prove them wrong.

Please don't slip into text speak on here though, us old farts don't understand it. :shock:
Cheese makes everything better.

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 36 queries.