mumofstig

• Global Moderator
which compost have you bought 2012
« on: January 20, 2012, 20:04 »
and can you recommend it?

LilacSandy

Re: which compost have you bought 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 20:27 »
I brought the same as last year B & Q grow bags (1/2 price on sale).  I split them and use them as normal bags of compost.  Not a lot of big bits and my seeds are going great guns again this year.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 20:57 »
I mostly make my own except for seed compost. For the last three years I've bought Westland John Innes seed compost and can highly recommend it. No lumps and it's proper John Innes not that "with added John Innes" nonsense.

allot2learn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 00:27 »
I'll be using been and queued 70ltr bags. They are usually 3 for £10. I've had no problems with it. Don't see any reason to change.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 13:13 »
End of last season Wickes were selling off their 75l bags compost for 3 bags @ £13.

I am still using this (new season stock not in yet in our local store) and so far have sown broad beans, onions and sweet peas and have good germination.

I also used some to bulk up a couple of the very alkaline beds, to hopefully reduce potato scab a bit this year too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RobertSongs

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 13:41 »
I wont be using the pots in the garage thay are just stored there...lol thought i would get in first before any wise cracks :tongue2:
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 08:19 »
For seed compost I will be using once again Humax. Expensive but well worth it in my opinion.
For potting on and  container growing I have bought several bags of J Arthur Bower's Multi Purpose Compost at £3.00 for 60L. It is generally a coarse compost but nothing that a decent riddle cannot fix.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:23 »
b&q growbags from last years stock only £1 each and when sived good enough for seed sowing for large pots i will use asdas own 3 for a tenner jobs no good for small seeds tho as it has a lot of wood pulp in it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:25 »
Please can we keep this thread for what you have actually bought this year, and what it's like  ;)

That way people can make an informed choice, and hopefully avoid the worst......

:)

Posts about last years compost are not particularly helpful - these and any other unhelpful posts will be deleted.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 20:49 by mumofstig »

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 21:12 »
given this is a very small sampling pool for what has been just a few weeks of the new year and is arguably not as helpful at this early stage if we are focusing just on what people have used this year rather than what they used in the past...- but give it a few months once folk have got into sowing and the like - B and Q has done me well for my onion seeds this year. I would recommend it as it is cheap and did the trick ie) they have germinated!!!!

As to what happens in a few months when compost gets a real chance to get used, we shall see.....

:) :) :)

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 21:15 by Ian_A »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 22:02 »
Composts tend to vary a lot from year to year.................but last years thread is here, if anyone wants to read it  ;)
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69737.msg796702#msg796702

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 16:23 »
given this is a very small sampling pool for what has been just a few weeks of the new year and is arguably not as helpful at this early stage if we are focusing just on what people have used this year rather than what they used in the past...- but give it a few months once folk have got into sowing and the like - B and Q has done me well for my onion seeds this year. I would recommend it as it is cheap and did the trick ie) they have germinated!!!!

As to what happens in a few months when compost gets a real chance to get used, we shall see.....

:) :) :)

Thanks Ian_A, I couldn't have said that better myself  ;). As I seem to be the only one who has had their post deleted for saying much the same as those who have not had their posts deleted, MumofStig, you've just lost a member.
Mash.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 16:42 »
It wasn't only your post that was deleted, Mash, and I hope you will stay on the Forum.

I did understand your comments, and that's why I gave the link to last year's thread, so that people can look there if they want to see what was recommended in 2011.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 16:58 »
This topic is entitled :

which compost have you bought 2012  

That means this year and not which compost have you bought in previous years.  Please confine your report to the topic so that it will build over the next couple of months to be a useful piece of content on which members can base their purchasing decisions.

It would also give the moderators less work to do in removing irrelevant posts ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 18:00 by Aunt Sally »

Totty

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 17:33 »
Got a couple of bags of Vitax Q4, cant comment on how the plants like it yet but it looks like very good quality, no large lumps and plenty of fibrous bits. Arthur Bowers seed compost again this year,  never had a problem.

xx
Can shop bought compost go off?

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 07:57
by fatcat1955
xx
I think I've bought some duff compost

Started by cathy81walking on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 20:36
by pipfit
question
shop-bought compost

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 01:28
by Paul Plots
xx
Modifying shop bought compost

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2013, 14:46
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 31 queries.