Pea Weevil, any advise gratfully recieved

• 9 Replies

brendabel18

Pea Weevil, any advise gratfully recieved
« on: April 26, 2009, 22:57 »
Evening everyone,

Does anyone have any advice on how it rid my peas/ground of weevils.
Very excited I was when my peas started to come through and delighted I was at growth rate until wednesday when I went along and found my row had been chomped and munched on my some beasty. After looking on the internet I'm 99% sure the pea weevil is to blame, I can even say now that I had seen some of the blighters hanging around but I diddnt know what they were. The damage is little U shaped bites around the edges of the leaves its pretty infested, I think I may have let this first batch go to pea heaven!

Has anyone one any advice on ridding these pests. I have grown straight from seed into the ground, am i best starting them off cutting my losses with this first row and start again indoors to them get established first? I was going to plant my french beans straight in out but am nervous now. HELP very much appreciated.

P.S I am happy to upload some pics if anyone would like to see the damage, I reckon I could even get a pic of the beasty if anyone would find it helpful if you are suffering the same problem
thanks
xb

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Pea Weevil, any advise gratfully recieved
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 23:01 »
are they flowering yet?
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

brendabel18

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 23:03 »
Hi Peapod,

No not yet, they only went in from seed about 3 weeks ago they were about 3 to 4 inches high before the attack came

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 23:51 »
If they are well established then they tend to be OK, but you can spray with bifenthrin..but depends if you are organic or not..

Sharonx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:21 »
Hi,
This is exactly what has happened to mine. Haven't seen the culprit though. Alot of mine haven't come up at all from seed so have big gaps and what I have got have been munched.

Think I might be starting again too  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 08:36 »
Mine had a few little nibbles, as you can see from the enlarged section of the main photo. I gave them a dose of "Bug Clear" and that made them think.

Overall the peas are doing well & it appears that the well pegged down debris netting kept the mice off while they germinated.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:39 »
The peas usually grow away from weevils. Damage is worse when it is dry and growth is slow. Keep the peas watered and/or pray for rain.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 17:13 »
I had same problem with the weevils last week. bought some spray with bifenthrin in it and i think fingers crossed they are recovering.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DIGGER

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 17:17 »
It was pea weavil that origionally bought me to this site,it does just go away,in fact i would be offended if it did'nt attack my peas.

I have just got my peas in the ground and i have sprayed them before the wevil attacks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 17:20 »
I had same problem with the weevils last week. bought some spray with bifenthrin in it and i think fingers crossed they are recovering.

Better use something stronger then! :tongue2: :lol: :tongue2: :lol:

xx
Just recieved my bundle of joy

Started by MrBurns on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2008, 12:58
by MrBurns
clip
just recieved an allotment...cant wait to get started....

Started by miss.happy85 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 23:16
by Plot74
xx
What to do about the weevil?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 17:14
by karooba007
xx
Pea weevil

Started by lottielearner on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2011, 19:24
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.051 seconds with 28 queries.