Feather Pecking/Eating

• 3 Replies

D.Bates

Feather Pecking/Eating
« on: January 22, 2009, 22:32 »
Hi all

Haven't logged on for a while now, but I did finally get round to obtaining 6 Buff Orpingtons in June of last year. I had to buy them a little younger than I had originally intended however all chickens settled in to their new home really well and have matured nicely. All are very friendly and tame birds, 5 of the 6 are laying really well and all seemed to be well in the chicken house until recently. A few days ago I noticed that 2 of the birds had a small amount of feathers missing from the back of their necks. I didn't think too much of it at the time as I know they have a peck at one another now and again. On arrival from work today I walked down the garden to be faced with the same 2 birds, only this time with more feathers missing from the front and additional feathers missing from the back of their necks. I later saw these 2 birds pecking at one another and it appears that they are eating the feathers that they pluck. No other birds in the run/coop are affected at the moment. Could anyone offer any advice on this behaviour please. The birds have a constant supply of clean water and layers pellets and get a handful of mixed corn every night and plenty of mixed veg at weekends. When the weather is fine they get to do as they please around the garden otherwise they are housed in a large run and coop.

Vember

Feather Pecking/Eating
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 22:42 »
Hi

There has been a similar post not so long ago and I have found this piece by  Foxy which I though might be useful as you said they are eating the feathers :)

Quote from: "Foxy"

You could supplement diet with a little poultry spice to help feather regrowth.
Keep a close eye is is moulting and the feather loss is not due to pecking prompted by lack of protein in the diet or maybe mites.
Hope this helps! :D

Sarah :D

freda

Feather Pecking/Eating
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 15:35 »
2 of my girls have been pecked this week and have a bold stripe by their bottom! I then watched as 2 others pecked and ate their soft bottom feathers!  :oops: I have coated their bare skin with Stockholm Tar - sticky and messy but very effective! It heals any sore patches and stops others from continuing pecking as they don't seem to like the smell or the taste!
It does make the feathers it comes into contact with rather gunked up but it soon either comes out through preening or as the chicken loses her feathers naturally.
Try it - it ceratinly has worked for me. :lol:
Hellooo! I am new to this site and relatively new to keeping chickens but what fun we are having! would love more and hubby coming around to my way of thinking! Kids in love with them!

D.Bates

Feather Pecking/Eating
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 21:53 »
Hi

Thanks I have ordered some of this Stockholm Tar. It seems to be effective stuff from what I have read so far. Hope it does the trick.

xx
Feather Pecking and eating

Started by flimbin on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 15:32
by joyfull
xx
Feather pecking and eating

Started by PlacidCasual on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 06:33
by Casey76
xx
feather pecking

Started by ken2 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 14:37
by chooksbury
xx
Feather pecking

Started by soya-bean on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 14:02
by stan deakin

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 28 queries.