Cabbage moth and other pests

• 9 Replies

Becky Sheppard

Cabbage moth and other pests
« on: July 21, 2019, 17:27 »
So I started off thinking my cabbage just had aphids (thank you for the earlier help), however I then discovered cabbage moth.  I gave my mum 4 of the cabbages as i only have a very small space.  Keeping two I re-planted them in seperate containers.  I've sprayed all leaves with soapy water and sprayed with water.  I found two quite big cabbage moths.  One of the ground eating the leaves and another inside the centre.  I re-sprayed the centre with soap.  Is it going to be like this the entire growing season?  By keeping the cabbage am I putting the rest of my garden at risk from other insects?

I found black fly on my geraniums and butterfly larvea (yellow buds) on my curly kale.  I'm growing potatoes, tomatoes, runner beans, squash, strawberries (something is eating the leaves on this as well), spinach and a wide variety of herbs.  I love my garden and I am leaving it in my brothers inexperienced hands for two weeks as I go away. I've washed all the leaves with soapy water and water sprayed them all so far. 

Any advice would be gratefully received.  I attach photos of my little garden.

thumbnail_IMG_0241.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0232.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0234.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0235.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0236.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0237.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0238.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0239 (1).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0240.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Cabbage moth and other pests
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 17:43 »
By "moths" do you mean moth larvae, as the moths themselves feed from flowers.

Whether they are Cabbage Moth larvae or the larvae of white butterflies you can keep them off your plants by using fine mesh over them, stretched taut so there is no way in, especially at ground level. It can look neat and tidy, not hideous.

Both only lay their eggs on plants of the cabbage family ie Brassicas so will not infest other plants, so no worries there, even if this year it is a little late to protect your cabbages.. always next season!

The yellow "buds" on your kale do sound like butterfly eggs: kale is a brassica so perhaps you could grow these under the same net as cabbages next time around? In the meanwhile ask your brother to keep a look out for any chewed leaves and capture the culprit caterpillar, which will be small and green, well camouflaged, probably sitting cosliy along a leaf vein.

I hope that helps a bit

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 17:43 »
firstly, may I compliment you on your lovely garden! I especially love your hanging herb arrangement! :D

unfortunately anything brassica like need fine netting which would probably would ruin the look of your lovely garden but would stop the cabbage whites from infesting your crops.

I only grow brassicas on my allotment as they need a lot of space and even more to allow for the netting required, and only grow crops which don't, in my vegetable plot at home.

im sure someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to give some advice, but I am really impressed with what you have achieved in (what looks like) a small space....you should be very proud! :)

Becky Sheppard

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 18:28 »
Thank you so much for your advice.

The caterpillars were about 4cm in length so rather big.  I will get some mesh.  I may grow them at my parents haha. 

I want to grow something leafy what would you recommend in the small space?

Also does anyone know what is eating my butternut squash leaves?  Should I train them to grow vertically?  I'm worried that they will go off if I leave them on the artificial grass.  I also have had spider issues which I think I have controlled with vinegar spraying (the ground) and raising everything up from the ground on plant stands so I worry they will come back if I leave them on the ground.

Jax64

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 10:19 »
You could try growing perpetual spinach as a leafy veg.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:59 »
You could also try Erbette.  It is similar, but a much smaller plant.   It is not as hardy, but I've grown it over winter without any problem.

Seeds here, but don't look at this website unless you are feeling strong willed.  The clue is in the name and quite a few of on here are seedaholics already so need no encouragement  :lol:

https://www.seedaholic.com/leaf-beet-erbette-perpetual-spinach-organic.html

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:01 »
That is one lovely garden! Strawbs are usually attacked by slugs and snails but it could also be woodlice as we get them in our raised stand.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:53 »
How about growing some cut and come again salad leaves. The oriental mustards, Mustards Red Giant, Red Feather and green frilled Pizzo are great looking and great tasting. Nothing better than picking a few colourful leaves for your summer salad and they are so expensive to buy.

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/oriental-mustards/164TM

Becky Sheppard

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 20:48 »
Thank you so much everyone!  I got rid of my cabbages to my neighbour who has a larger garden too much effort.  I'm going to continue with the one pot of kale I have and will buy some mesh tomorrow. 

Could anyone please advise me if my squash is a goner!  It is a baby but I turned it over today and saw it had brown on it.  The leaves have been eaten but I laid it on the bench until I got some trellis so I put it down to this. 
67406464_465664940649123_7081318924029001728_n.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 08:51 »
Could anyone please advise me if my squash is a goner!  It is a baby but I turned it over today and saw it had brown on it.  The leaves have been eaten but I laid it on the bench until I got some trellis so I put it down to this.

Plant looks healthy enough - the fruit has possibly been munched by slugs, but might not have been pollinated anyway. Hopefully more flowers will follow.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
sowing winter cabbage [spring cabbage ]

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 27, 2017, 16:46
by Aidy
xx
pests

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:55
by Faz
xx
Pests

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:14
by Yorkie
exclamation
LITTLE PESTS

Started by JOnDAVE on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 13:25
by arugula

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 49 queries.