Plans for 2017

• 18 Replies

Christine

Plans for 2017
« on: January 07, 2017, 17:05 »
Hmm. Have just taken on a second allotment. So that's 10 rods twice.

More potatoes, more pumpkins, more butternut squash, room for cauliflowers. Room for the extra strawberry runners, room for the excess herb cuttings.

Might even use up all the seeds this year.  :lol:

So who else has more space all of a sudden and plans to do things? Or who else just has plans?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 17:06 by Christine »

Twitch

Re: Plans for 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 17:43 »
Me  :)

Just taken my 3rd plot, though all are only 5 poles each.

Plan to rest the first one I had, Already covered it in manure and thick plastic sheeting.
Will put spuds in bags and big pots on it this year. then rest one and do the same every year.

:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 18:17 »
That's a huge amount for you Christine - good luck!
My plot is only 3.75 perch and it's never been big enough - now I've convinced the council lady to let me have a 3 perch plot that no-one on the waiting list wants, as well. It is completely covered with fescue grass (luckily not couch) and plantain weeds  ::)

It will be slow going because my back doesn't like digging much, so I've covered some of it to begin with.

Ha ha I've just noticed you used rods, Twitch replied with poles and I've just used perch. Ain't that funny!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 18:18 by mumofstig »

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 18:28 »
Growing area doubled to 400 adjacent sq metres last year after badgering the council, but a lot of hard work getting it under control and ready. Now at last room for early green manure beds to prepare for later crops.

Extra drying beans/pulses 

Proper cloches  :) to take the pressure of the greenhouse. Maybe extend the greenhouse too.

Sadly, extra early brassica precautions for the diamond back moth first seen last year. It's quite a different challenge to the cabbage white.  So, probably a low walk-in brassica cage, to include carrots. Would save a lot of grief., and keep most netting to one area. Have saved up enough timber, and will deploy my enviromesh strips.

Proper labelling of all seeds. This won't happen.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 10:02 »
Only just started thinking about thinking about this year's fruit and veg plans!  :ohmy:

I do know I'm going to have to be really brave and chuck out all the out of date packets of seeds in my shoe box collection (which is most of them!) - I know there are multiple packets of things like rocket and radish, some of which germinated well last year, but some didn't. Needless to say I can't remember which was which, so I think a fresh start is called for.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DIGGER

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 19:03 »
Lost a bit of enthusiasm last year,so have covered up a quarter of the 10 pole .will spend more time sitting and chatting.
Hopefully will regain my mojo and take the covers of later.
Either way I shall enjoy my time and that's what it is about. I think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 19:12 »

Plan to rest the first one I had, Already covered it in manure and thick plastic sheeting.
Will put spuds in bags and big pots on it this year. then rest one and do the same every year.

Could you not just rotate crops rather than leave a good section unproductive? "A change is as good as a rest" was a common saying from both of my parents.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 19:57 »

Could you not just rotate crops rather than leave a good section unproductive? "A change is as good as a rest" was a common saying from both of my parents.  ;)

Yes have to agree with Paul, seems a great waste of a plot, do you not have a waiting list on your site? Seems a bit unfair to have 3 plots & only use 2 each year?

edit to clarify quote

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 20:16 by mumofstig »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Twitch

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29 »

Yes have to agree with Paul, seems a great waste of a plot, do you not have a waiting list on your site? Seems a bit unfair to have 3 plots & only use 2 each year?

edit to clarify quote

Hello,

It won't be a waste as I will be growing all my spuds and some tomatoes in pots.
As have a major wireworm issue so now given up putting them in the ground.

It sounds serve, but in fact there is probably only about 2 poles that will be covered, as I have a polly tunnels and always grow my parsnips an the same place in front of the tunnels, and on the front of all grow a wall of French Marigolds, as these seem to deter slugs.

Here's a pic of what it looked March/April 2015,  I will take a pic of the covered area next time I'm up there, and post.
There is also no waiting list, hence I got another plot.

http://www.sloughallotmentfederation.co.uk/uploads/4/7/3/7/47373791/3879720_orig.jpg

« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:36 by Twitch »

bayleaf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:31 »
I am trying to get my first plot as I have just retired (so have the time) and the back garden is already full of fruit and veg. That said I have been trying to get a plot for a few years now. Can't believe some people can have three plots!!

al78

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:22 »
A friend has taken on a second half plot which has a collapsed greenhouse frame on it. She has offered it to me, so if it is useable I will try and put a base down, erect the frame and get some polycarbonate to glaze it. If it all goes to plan it will open up more cultivation options.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 10:43 »
Can't believe some people can have three plots!!

Availability of plots and waiting lists really do vary across the country, but if plots are empty and no-one else wants them, why not.  Better that than they lay untended as weed seed producers.

We have about 6 abandoned ones on our site (which is very small). Its really annoying if you are next to one  ::)  The council maintain that we have a 5 year waiting list for our site - not sure how that works  :wacko:

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52 »
Oh yes I agree if there's nobody wanting the plot then let others have it. As you say waiting lists vary from area to area, not sure about yours New Shoot, ours was a bit like that. But it came down to the efficiency (or inefficiency)of the allotment officer in our case. Then a group of blokes caused a rucus, now we have inspections by councillors & a whole load of rules & regulations😱.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 21:17 »
Oh yes I agree if there's nobody wanting the plot then let others have it. As you say waiting lists vary from area to area, not sure about yours New Shoot, ours was a bit like that. But it came down to the efficiency (or inefficiency)of the allotment officer in our case. Then a group of blokes caused a rucus, now we have inspections by councillors & a whole load of rules & regulations😱.

A very good example of be careful what you wish for ...  ::) :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 23:56 »
Nice looking plots Twitch... love the tunnels too. Oh they do look good - extra warmth, early start and protection from wind and a good few bugs.

Hope you don't mind I've reposted your photo link for others to see: http://www.sloughallotmentfederation.co.uk/uploads/4/7/3/7/47373791/3879720_orig.jpg

Here's wishing, whatever your plans are, 2017 is a good one for you.  :)

xx
Bed Plans

Started by Digger Mum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 17:40
by Digger Mum
xx
hello all what are you plans

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 18, 2010, 20:10
by Togalosh
xx
In need of help with my plans. Please.

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 14:40
by LivvyW
xx
Plans for next year

Started by Shelle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 19:44
by mkhenry

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 37 queries.