Carrot success at last!

• 31 Replies

Goosegirl

Carrot success at last!
« on: November 04, 2015, 12:32 »
Never, ever, EVER in my life have I been able to grow carrots successfully. They either didn't germinate, just disappeared or I nurtured a few miserable specimens that weren't worth the trouble. This year, using Nantes 2 as before in one of my raised beds with the same soil as before (except for some added mushroom compost on top) I sowed three rows in late June, they all germinated, didn't thin them out or water them that much, and - YO! Can't be the weather can it?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Carrot success at last!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:36 »
Yay!!  :lol: Bet you feel chuffed!

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 13:54 »
I find a later sowing is more likely to be succesful than an earlier one.  I never had much success until I started waiting until May to sow.

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 15:07 »
me too   never had a good carrot   this year   lots of lge and small STRAIT carots

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 15:17 »
I too am pleased with this year's carrots, but the rainbow ones didn't do well, small and skinny and a lot of the white ones were small but woody!

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 16:55 »
Well done GG. I have today harvested some small late sown carrots and my first 2 parsnips as I could not wait anymore to look at what if anything had grown in the soil
2015-11-04 Parsnips & Carrots.jpg
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 16:55 by cadalot »

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 21:09 »
Yep my carrots have been excellent this year,the best I've done since I've had the allotment. Used to do ok at the old garden before we moved though.
Here's some from July
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 21:13 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

crh75

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 13:03 »
I agree, it has been a very good year for carrots for me as well.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 13:03 »
Well done GG. I have today harvested some small late sown carrots and my first 2 parsnips as I could not wait anymore to look at what if anything had grown in the soil
I know the feeling! There was so much top growth that I thought they must be growing well. At the same time, I sowed some baby-type beetroot and they did the same. Wonder if a late sowing works with parsnips too???

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 14:09 »
Well done GG, mine always get flyed, even when I put environmesh over them  :( I've just transported some big crates to the allotment so will try them in these next year in the hope that being 2ft of the ground will protect them, will also make weeding a lot easier. Just got to fill them up now which could take some time.

Goosegirl

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 10:52 »
They are in a 9" raised bed with no protective netting or fly damage so did my late sowing avoid this?

oldgrunge

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 21:16 »
I think your late sowing has saved you from the dreaded carrot fly. I found growing them at higher levels didn't work, they probably got blown onto the carrots  by the wind, enviromesh has been my salvation.
I agree that later sowing is preferable for good germination, I try a sowing in early march every year. Always a complete failure, think I'll stop doing it!
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 05:18 »
Excellent news, Goosey! In the past, we've been there done it and finished with a load of split, sluggy and occasionally flied roots, on carrots sown on the patch!

Same happened this year, and good debris netting kept the fly away, but the slugs turned up en masse, and so there are several lucky horses around these parts with something to chomp on, because we're not using them!

However, the ones sowed in succession in holey buckets of pure compost, high up off the ground have been great, and are now 'resting' in the greenhouse for when we want a couple!

I think cracking carrots is a sign of 'getting there', and once you've done it, you never look back! Well done that girl!

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24 »
Slugs get 'em too? :ohmy: I have some around but by no means as many as snails and not had a problem with them either. Thanks all for your high-fives and, BTW, they are a lovely sweet-tasting carrot as well. GG's advice is to get a cane and make a little 1" furrow in the soil, get the seeds between your fingers and sprinkle along the furrow then cover up. Can't remember now whether I used MPC compost to cover up. It was just a basic "bung-it-in and see what happens" jobbie.

erikaz1

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 15:47 »
Sounds like I'm going to have to try carrots again next year. I planted a couple of very small rows very late and at a guess I'll have maybe 6 baby carrots. Must get sorted and start earlier next year - than you for the inspiration!

xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
will i have success?

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 15:14
by Charl89
xx
success at last !!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 18:57
by starry
xx
Steaming Success!

Started by whippersnapper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2008, 17:40
by whippersnapper

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 37 queries.