fox took one girl

• 31 Replies

treecol

fox took one girl
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:15 »
The most awful thing happened this morning not long after lettings the girls out. I heard one of them rosey very loudly like she was sounding the alarm. They were all back in their summer house on perches. When I ran out, I could see the feathers. He'd dug under our neighbours new fence & taken her. I feel so dreadful as there'd been alot of concrete poured down under this fence to level the gravel boards. This is so awful, I know it's my fault & the poor girlie lost her life because I thought the run was ok. They are shut in now for the day as they don't want to be out. Is there anything I should do for them? I've checked them all & they are physicaly ok.
DH says we'll dig a trench inside the run up against the bottom of the fence & fill it with bricks & concrete. But how deep do we go? I'm
Presuming depth is more important than width?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: fox took one girl
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:19 »
I am sorry to hear of your loss and please don't punish yourself. Unfortunately if a fox really wants them they will try everything (usually when they have young) they can dig, jump and bite through wire. The only thing that helps me is I physically shut my lot up in their coups at night and those are in a enclosure.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:18 »
I would have a look at your local recycling centre for offcuts of chain link fencing or similar and dig that in or take the top layer of soil out and lay it flat and up to the bottom of the fence.
That will stop charlie.

treecol

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:22 »
Thanks for the answers abd advice. We couldn't dig  a trech as this was making the neighbours gravel boards drop. Do we've pulled up an old patio & laid the slabs butting up to the concrete gravel boards. They are 2ft wide into the run. They are very heavy so we've laid a 2nd layer of slabs ontop. I don't know what else to do as we cannot fox proof from our neighbours side, only into the run.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:49 »
So sorry. It is horrid when the blasted fox gets any of your chickens. :(

I was going to suggest an electric fence but if the damn things are digging under from next door I don't think it would be much good.

Is it possible to relocate their run and then use an electric fence? It is the only thing that works for us and we have loads of foxes near us. The only time the b***ers got any of our girls was when the transformer for the fence broke and we didn't notice.

Don't feel it is your fault. The fox is very good at getting to food.

treecol

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39 »
Electric fence isn't possible as we've concreted the posts for the run in & it's not possible to move it. I found the poor girlie - she had got behind the water but up against the hen house. In my panic to check how many hens were left & get the run secured, I hadn't looked behind there. She only had  very tiny graze to her skin but was saxly dead. I guess the snock killed her. I presume as I came out the back door, it wretched thing was scared off. DH says he thinks the hole under the fence is too small for a fox - it was about 4 inches wide by 3 inches deep. He also couldn't understand how the hen got away & nothing followed the hens into the hen house. Am I dealing with something else? We live on the outskirts on Ringwood in what to me is urban but I think to those used to towns is semi rural. We have sandy heath land around here, lots of scotts pines. What else could it have been. Mink maybe?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 12:03 »
It could be a mink.  They are pretty voracious and will take hens if they get the chance.

I'm really sorry to hear your bad news  :(  Its horrible to have to deal with when you have only just got your birds.

I know you have already laid the slabs, but it may be worth digging a trench at the edge of these and sinking wire down into the ground.  Whatever is tunnelling in will be deterred if it hits wire down below ground level.

treecol

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 13:28 »
Thank you for all your advice. We're feeling a little better now. Had to eggs today. It'll be an on going thing with the run for a while now as we keep re-thinking how to do things.
The girls have been following us round the garden as we worked & now are venturing further outside the henhouse into their run. This morning they wouldn't go out there. I'm also feeling better after re-reading my posts. Had a good laugh at my spelling! Can't get used to this tablet thingy I'm on!

grinling

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 18:58 »
sorry to hear this.
How big is the run area? would it be possible to concrete the run base, ours is

treecol

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 19:35 »
DH said concrete would be the best option. But the run is 10ft x 40ft. I think we'll have to gradually fill it in with slabs & concrete between. We've already lifted one of our patios today, but anything is worth it to keep them safe. Lots of free slabs on gumtree at the moment .
I think the next step will be to cover the run with weld mesh just incase.

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 22:47 »
How sad but interesting that you don't think its the fox, and not much damage to the bird

I had trouble with a large cat which took half of Beryl's feathers, she was  a bit shocked but got away and ran up the garden joining the other two.

I am sure it was the cat as it sat there watching as I came running down the garden, then it ran off. There were feathers all over the place and Beryl was half bald.

I don't think a cat would share a garden with predators such as foxes, mink etc., which is why I was convinced the moggy was the villain >:(

You could try a web cam to see what visitors you get during the day :ohmy:

rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

treecol

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:36 »
Just had a sleepless night. Our bedroom is at the back of the bungalow & we have patio doors in there - veh handy as it sems mr fox is responsible for the 1st attack. Our neighbour sent a text at 10pm to say the fox was on his way to our garden. We heard a clunk about an hour later which sounded like he'd tried to dig again & hit the slabs. Just after midnight he cam into the garden which lit up with our security light. We ran out, he ran off. This then hapened all through the night.
I worry that he'll get to thd girls in the summer house. Today I will black out the lower windows. But what to do now I don't know. He needs killing I guess.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:58 »
Trouble is that if you have a fox culled, another quickly moves into the territory to take over  :(

We have a fox that visits almost every night. Our big run is completely covered with wire sunk in and flared out at the base and a roof as well.  The little gang of three have an eglu and run, which also flares out at the base to prevent fox attack.  Before that, they had a wooden coop with a wood and weld mesh enclosed run.  They do all get out, but only when I am around, as some are very titchy bantams and the local cats are a bit too interested.  So far, we have never lost a bird to a predator.

If you are worried about the summerhouse windows, put mesh over them.  The hens are new, so he will try at first and will swing by thereafter to check you have not left any opportunities for him.  Its their nature I'm afraid  ::)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07 »
Killing foxes doesn't really help. It is reported that when a fox is killed another takes over the territory within 24-48 hours. If you did kill it, it would be a case of hoping the next one is not so persisant. Just keep doing as much as you can to the run and coup to make it difficult.

Sassy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 08:09 »
Trouble is that if you have a fox culled, another quickly moves into the territory to take over  :(

Another fox would come in but would not have the memory of a successful kill or automatically know a way in.  This fox is cocky and will try because he has been successful, mores the pity. Urban foxes are worse than country ones as they are not so afraid of humans!

I am sorry about your chook it was real bad luck  :(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:13 by Sassy »
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Girl or boy?

Started by symonep on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 12:22
by symonep
xx
boy or girl?

Started by lucylou on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 23:31
by IMOmimey
xx
sad girl

Started by caroline or on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 13:47
by Rubellite
xx
One Girl off the Lay

Started by Tessa on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 20:17
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 37 queries.