split green lentils

• 4 Replies

RubyR3d

split green lentils
« on: March 24, 2015, 15:59 »
I only have 2 hens left but will be buying 3 more at easter. One of the 2 has been pecked by the other and looks like an oven ready. I have applied stop peck and I have the purple spray as another option. There are 2 questios really. As I think the pecking is still going on a bit shall I now use the purple spray instead(( does it help prevent then) and the other s I was told to help grow feathers they need more protein but not too much as it harms kidneys. I have sprouted some green lentils which I'm told is an excellent source and can feed pretty freely as doesn't harm them so much . Question is how much is enough for 2 hens . I have half a kilner jar full. How much a day please roughly. Thank you.  :D

grinling

Re: split green lentils
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 22:46 »
Have you tried beak clips which can help pecking hens.
Check to see if the birds have lice at all.
are they both laying?

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:49 »
Sorry I cannot help re lentils, other than to say if you feed a good quality layers it should have all the protein required. The purple spray justs masks the colour of any blood, helps with healing and deterring flies and blood is what will definitely encourage pecking but is not the only cause - boredom being another. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RubyR3d

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 20:18 »
Thanks for replying. I have bought 4 more hens this evening. After  a couple of hours seeing one another through a fence I sprayed them all with anti peck and after the 2 oldies had gone to beb I waited a while then put the four in on the perches. I am introducing 4 to 2. It didn't seem too bad but after  an hour and a half the two oldies can still be heard in alarm. Its 815.I have covered them up so it must be dark. Will they stop soon. It doesn't sound aggressive but its loud.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 20:54 »
If someone had got into your bed uninvited you might moan as well.
Normally new chooks are quarantined for a couple of weeks, just in case they have an illness, was this not possible.
Stay close all day tomorrow in case of probs.
is the hen still pecking?

xx
Split run

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 17:16
by danfinn1
xx
split beak

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 15:18
by Pretty Chick
xx
Split beak

Started by Emsdad on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post November 29, 2007, 21:48
by Jellyhead
xx
Split peas...

Started by kinola on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 08:32
by parson

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 37 queries.