bean trench

• 11 Replies

Anton

bean trench
« on: October 19, 2014, 16:37 »
Fellow gardeners

I started a bean trench for my runner beans  and this turned out to be quite successful. When I had covered the compost with soil I built my wigwag structure on the top. I thought about leaving the canes in place and starting another trench but if I do that do I have to dig the trench to encompass the poles? That is, dig outside the poles so as they are included in the trench as that I obviously plant my beans right next to the poles, so there would be no point just having the compost in the middle!

Anton

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: bean trench
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 19:13 »
Anton,
Sounds like a case for Poirot...  ;)
If my little grey cells have understood you correctly... then I can't see why you can't keep the poles in position and dig a new bean trench on the 'outside' - in fact I did just the same last year worked fine for me. I believe that a lot of people simply reuse the same trench again and again (adding new composted material each year) - my understanding is that beans don't need to be crop-rotated to the same degree as other things. (If I'm talking nonsense I'm sure someone will be along soon to correct me!)

Pip pip,
Balders

Anton

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 22:09 »
Thanks for your answer Balders.

Anton

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 22:15 »
I do all my composting this way now. I have small no dig beds I rake off a small amount of soil add the compost material and recover with soil plus manure if i have it and the stuff just composts in situ. I don't add perennial weed roots or flowers and really thick stems.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 22:16 »
Two trenches? i.e. each along the line of where the poles will be (instead of "one really wide trench")

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 22:17 »
It was a wigwam.......... so trench around the outside as Baldy says  :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 22:19 by mumofstig »

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:18 »
Some people keep the poles in the same place every year. One year the beans, and trench, are one side, the next year they are the other side.

MalcW

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10 »
I believe that a lot of people simply reuse the same trench again and again (adding new composted material each year) - my understanding is that beans don't need to be crop-rotated to the same degree as other things.

I'm rather hoping that this is the case. I had a go at building a Munty frame using fairly substantial poles that were already on the plot when I took it over, and ideally I would like to reuse it.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:12 »
I have a Munty frame built from angle iron bolted together so it hasn't moved anywhere for the last 5 years or so - I just dig out a trench every autumn, chucking the soil a few feet away. The trench is then slowly filled with compostable materials and then covered up with the soil immediately next to it (in a mound to allow for sinkage.)

That way I at least partially change the soil each year, although as has been said beans aren't really prone to persistent soil-borne pests and diseases so many people wouldn't even bother going that far.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MalcW

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26 »
That's good news then. I'm pleased with my Munty frame, and a couple of other plot holders have commented favourably too. It even has an area under it with weed suppressant fabric and bark, so I really didn't want to start again.

On a slightly different note, I still have beans on there which are beyond picking now. Could I leave them a little longer then harvest the beans for next year? If so, how do I know when they're ready, and what do I do with them? Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 10:40 »
When the pod starts to brown, thin, and eventually shrivel and split open to release the seeds they are obviously fully mature - they can be picked before that stage, removed from the pods and fully air dried before storing but the smaller they are the less likely they are to be viable.

Depending on luck and how many other people were growing runners in the area yours may or may not all come true next year - I've been saving White Lady for a few years now - last year one plant had red flowers but this year they were all white (but not necessarily Ladies - hard to tell with beans!  :lol:)

MalcW

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03 »
I might give it a go then. Mine were (are) Scarlet Emperor, and they did very well. I only planted about 25 beans and we've been overdosing on them for weeks.

xx
Bean Trench

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 22:57
by garddwr
xx
Bean trench

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 14:30
by marcofez
xx
a bean trench

Started by digalotty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 18:03
by digalotty
xx
bean trench

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 17:40
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.