Bitter Elephant garlic

• 6 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Bitter Elephant garlic
« on: October 18, 2014, 12:52 »
I have managed to grow decent Elephant garlic for the last few years.  I have re-used the cloves I've grown for next times seed garlic.  Problem is it is bitter.  I know it doesn't keep well, so have tried eating it fresh and after a week or two, and later, but it is always almost too bitter to eat.

I'm wondering if I need to try new stock?  I would have tried this anyway, but it is so blimming expensive (T and M £8.99 for 5 cloves  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:) And no local stockists I know of, so postage on top. 

Anyone know why it might be bitter?
Or cheapish place to buy a few new cloves?

4 Seasons

Re: Bitter Elephant garlic
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 00:52 »
I have managed to grow decent Elephant garlic for the last few years.  I have re-used the cloves I've grown for next times seed garlic.  Problem is it is bitter.  I know it doesn't keep well, so have tried eating it fresh and after a week or two, and later, but it is always almost too bitter to eat.

I'm wondering if I need to try new stock?  I would have tried this anyway, but it is so blimming expensive (T and M £8.99 for 5 cloves  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:) And no local stockists I know of, so postage on top. 

Anyone know why it might be bitter?
Or cheapish place to buy a few new cloves?

Have you tried roasting them? The bitterness should decrease with cooking. We barbecue ours in the summer and they are not bitter at all. In the winter they are added to stews and things like fried rice where any bitterness is unnoticed. I don't find them pleasant to eat raw either.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:16 »
It is expensive to buy new - do you know anyone else who could give you a few cloves? Mind I picked up 20 for £5 from a local who sells on eBay but was giving the allotment association a chance to buy on discount.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:48 »
Yes I've tried different ways of cooking including roasting.  They have definitely become bitter for some reason.   If yours are ok 4seasons, I definitely have a problem.  Does everybody buy new seeds each year?

I don't know anybody that grows them, not sure why, they seem easy to grow.  I will try the local organic shop, if not, maybe I'll bit the bullet and buy some new over the net.
Thanks for replies.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 20:09 »
I have never had bitter elephant garlic and do not know any reason for that. I find that elephant garlic is the best keeping vegetable that I have ever come across, as it will keep for well over a year, if properly dried off and stored in cool, well ventilated, dry place.

4 Seasons

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 20:54 »
There are some plants that turn bitter if the growing conditions are not right. Celery is a prime example as it turns bitter if not watered regularly but I've not heard of that problem with garlic of any kind.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 21:01 by 4 Seasons »

muddled

• gone plotterin'
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 23:25 »
I had a bulb go bitter once....inedibly so. In fact, I had roasted it with a whole load of veggies and the taste was so awful that it tainted the lot.

I don't know what caused it I'm afraid, it happened four years back and this is the first time I've tried growing again since....It was that horrible :wacko:

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic

Started by mobilekat on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 02:12
by Paul Plots
xx
elephant garlic

Started by slowcompost on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 20:34
by waddecar
xx
Elephant garlic

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 22:08
by WG.

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 36 queries.