Growing Artichokes

• 17 Replies

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Growing Artichokes
« on: June 13, 2013, 01:17 »
I am very keen to grow both small Purple+Global Artichokes from seed.

Any suggestions/advice/tips on best source of seeds,method of growing,pest contro;,up keep  etc  please ?

Thanks

allotmentann

Re: Growing Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:18 »
They are, really, really easy to raise from seed. I grew both green and purple last year,  but it would seem that the quality of the plants raised from seed may vary. So it is said to be best to propagate from cuttings. If you have room to grow a few extra from seed,you can always select the best, but this would be quite a long term way to do it and require a lot of space, as you won't know until you get the flowers which are the best! I just selected and planted three.
I didn't do anything special at all to get them started, just in multipurpose compost on my kitchen window sill. I potted them on until they were a good size. I did find that the slugs were pretty keen at the lotty and they were seriously attacked! They don't seem to have bothered this year, so I think they must like the baby plants better.  :)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:23 »
I've just given you the update you requested on the other thread. ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=93049.msg1195126#msg1195126

Edit to add link before the other thread drops away again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 15:50 by arugula »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

willp

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 08:32 »
"Any suggestions/advice/tips on best source of seeds,method of growing,pest contro;,up keep  etc  please ?"

Just one really - wrap them up for the winter, with a pile of straw of similar on the crown. I grew 3 splendid plants from seed last year and lost 2 to the cold.

This was suggested on the growing advice I`d read, but having seen them around, I figured they were fairly hardy in our local climate. :(

Very easy to grow however

Will

gypsy

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 13:48 »
I grew a few from seed last yr. I put 3 in the poly tunnel and 3 outside. The 3 in the poly tunnel had a few flowers on each plant, but the plants all died over winter. The 3 outside only had a couple of insignificant flowers but are still there this yr.
Catherine

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 15:41 »
How timely - I'm just in the process of planting them too - what's not to love? Difficult and expensive to buy in the shops, utterly delicious, and a perennial on top of that! I've gone for a mixture of the traditional Green Globe, a Purple one (supposed to have best flavour) and Travor, which is related to Green Globe but meant to be quite a lot hardier.

I'll be planting them along the southern edge of my plot to get as much sun as possible, and will chuck a bundle of straw over them for winter. In two years, I'll start making baby plants from them as, despite being perennial, they're only supposed to be at their best for 3 or 4 years. Easy to propagate from off-shoots, I'm told.

REALLY hope they work - I LOVE them!

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 18:31 »
Thanks Everyone.I was hoping someone would comment about where best to get the seeds from ?Cheers

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 20:49 »
I got mine from premier seeds on ebay.

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 10:28 »
Thanks

simbamara

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing Artichokes-Update
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 14:51 »
My little seedlings from seed are coming along fine in 3 '' pots..They are a height of about 2 inches and each seedling has 2 to 4 leaves.When should I transfer them to ground ?Or should I let them grow a bit in bigger pots?

Thanks

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 10:07 »
I see some white 'squiggle'' like marks on some of the leaves of the seedlings.Does that mean anything please ?
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 10:25 »
It's often a leaf miner - if you can see or feel where it is, squash it with finger and thumb either side of leaf.

They don't really do much damage if you can't find it, though ;)

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 00:22 »
Update
I have many plants now ( about 12 in all) Some have plenty of & tall leaves BUT hardly any chokes & a few plants are small , not too many leaves bit relatively more chokes !! Why ? Should I remove the bottom leaves from the plants that have many leaves ?
Best feed for artichoke plants & how often/when ?
Thanks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2016, 08:43 »
Some give early globes, some produce later. Over time you can decide which are the best plants and get rid of the less productive. You can always increase the numbers of your best ones by dividing them and replanting the offsets, once the plants are well established.
eJUw65mwAKw
I wouldn't cut off any leaves, it weakens the plants.

I usually give mine a shovel of compost/manure in the spring and a handful of general fertiliser (eg BF&B/Growmore) a bit later in the year.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 09:19 »
Some bloke in red left a packet of artichoke seeds in my stocking last December. So they are new to me this year....in fact I have never eaten artichokes. So a new experience all round...........if they grow!

xx
Artichokes Growing

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 03, 2014, 19:19
by simbamara
xx
Growing Purple & Globe artichokes

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 09:41
by simbamara
xx
Artichokes

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 11:16
by PennyS
xx
I Don't Get Artichokes

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2017, 22:38
by gobs

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 40 queries.