Globe artichokes?

• 11 Replies

allotmentann

Globe artichokes?
« on: April 24, 2012, 19:52 »
Hi, I am trying to raise globe artichokes from seed for the first time (Green Globe and a purple variety I forget the name  ::)), they are growing nicely on my window sill. I have just been reading the RHS web site which tells me that they are best propagated from cuttings, as not only does the seed not come true, but the plants may be spiny and are often inferior to ones grown from suckers, so plant only the good seedlings.  My question then is, how can I tell which of my baby plants are good ones? And am I wasting my time growing from seed? Hmm! Technically two questions!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Globe artichokes?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 20:05 »
I grew them from seed last year, during the "summer" months. 100% success with germination and some very healthy little plants grew. These have overwintered, having been chopped back, and I'm looking forward to them producing a tasty crop this year. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 20:15 »
Hi Argyllie I would love to know what you think as to the flavour of your seed grown ones as I now see I have to chop all the flower heads off this year! Two years is a long time to find out if it is worth the effort! (I guess they will look nice at least! Adding some interest to my fairly bare plot!) :).

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 20:23 »
Some of the flowerheads are very spikey and you may not want to keep those ones as it can be a faff to remove the spikes before cooking, I think that's the only reason some are discarded  ;)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 20:23 »
They didn't get big enough last year to produce flower heads, as I say planted during the summer months, but I'm hoping for a good display of flowers and more importantly a good crop to eat. I love artichokes! :D

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 20:59 »
Hi Mumofstig perhaps that is it. I hope they are not too much of a faff to prepare, I have not tried before.
Argyllie - I probably won't get flowers this year either then. I wonder then, as all the advice is to remove the first years flowers, what exactly counts as the 'first year'? If I don't get flowers this year am I supposed to remove the first ones next year? You are obviously planning on harvesting yours, so is it more about allowing the plant to establish itself? I think I am reading too many things and confusing myself! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:43 »
IMO the year you sowed them is the first year, when some will flower and some won't.

After that I'd eat them as long as the plant looks strong and healthy  :)

have a look at this thread for 'spikey' 'chokes - the ones you may not want to keep!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=59559.msg695483#msg695483

allotmentann

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 18:22 »
Thanks so much for that, the pictures make it really clear what is meant by spiney/spikey. I can see that they look quite lethel! Still if it does not affect the flavour it shouldn't matter too much. Let's just hope I can grow them to that stage! Everything is very much a huge learning curve for me :)

simbamara

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 01:29 »
I grew them from seed last year, during the "summer" months. 100% success with germination and some very healthy little plants grew. These have overwintered, having been chopped back, and I'm looking forward to them producing a tasty crop this year. :)

Can we have an update on the progress of the artichoke plants please ?Thanks

Ali M

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19 »
The first year the flower heads appear you're meant to cut off the flower heads before they develop too much... Something to do with them thinking they've done their job by seeding! This takes a lot of self discipline - or it did in my case anyway!! I'm a novice and I grew mine from seed... But I completely underestimated the amount of room they need once they grow!! I think if they have enough space and good soil they should do fine!!
Also the cook books say to trim the leaves...I never bother as you only eat the fleshy bit at the bottom of the leaves so I figure what's the point of trimming them! Just soak them in lemon juice and water for half an hour before cooking them and they should stay nice and green.

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:58 »
Well, I have not tried mine. I didn't get any flowers last year, so I am still not certain whether I should remove the ones that are just forming this year? I lost one plant over winter (I planted just three of those that I grew), but I have two very healthy looking plants, which is enough for me as they do take up a lot of room! :)

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 07:22 »

Can we have an update on the progress of the artichoke plants please ?Thanks

Ooh, you've quoted what I posted last year April 2012, ;) but they've been through another winter including the 2013 March storms completely uncovered (although I wouldn't recommend this treatment if you are prone to frosts - we are in the gulf stream and relatively mild), as we weren't expecting high winds and heavy snow in late March. ::) Out of three plants, one has three flowers/"fruits" and another has one. The leaves on the third plant now look different  ??? and it has no flowers, perhaps as yet.

I'm looking forward to eating the produce again soon. :)

xx
Globe artichokes

Started by A. Fallowfield on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 01:51
by barney rubble
xx
globe artichokes

Started by Gordonstoms on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 16:17
by tode
xx
GLOBE ARTICHOKES

Started by avisford on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2011, 20:35
by snowdrops
xx
Artichokes (Globe)

Started by ted_woodley on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 09:34
by ted_woodley

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 40 queries.