Help Required

• 6 Replies

Spanky855

Help Required
« on: August 29, 2006, 15:48 »
Firstly can I say what a great forum. I think this is going to be invaluable for me (Lee ) and my partner Sally.
We are total novices but with plenty of reading books and this forum we are slowing picking the basics up  :) .
I have a question which I cant find the answer to.
The plot we have just taken on is extremely over grown, 1/10th of it cultivated this year 4/10th  a couple of years ago and 1/2 I really dont know!. my plan is to keep the top 1/3 @ lawn mower level and tidy maybe plant a few fruit trees and bushes and cutivate the bottom 2/3rds.
Whats the best way to clear all the weeds, roots etc , I have cut it down to ground level and cleared it all, I then thought of using a sheen gun and torching the rest of the weeds, turning it over with a rotavator pulling out big roots etc and torchin again until theres no sign of the *. is this a good idea?
Help and ideas would be greatly appreciated,, Regards Lee & Sal

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
Help Required
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:51 »
What I did was cut it all back as low as possible, then take the top layer of turf off the areas I wanted to have as beds. I used the turfs to build up my paths and build up round the plot perimeter. I then double-dug the soil to get at the couch grass roots etc which rotorvating would just chop up and distribute even further.
The downside of this is that you're actually removing some of the topsoil when you take the turfs off, but torching it would probably reduce it's fertility anyway.

Spanky855

Help Required
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 19:41 »
Thankyou Mick

Im taking advice at the moment from ayone and anywhere, everyone has a different idea which is great.
The one im considering is using a glyphosate weed killer to kill the weed and roots then rotavate, does anyone have any thoughts regarding this idea?

Regards  Lee and Sally

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Help Required
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 20:11 »
How about covering the bits you're not using with plastic, tarps etc - after a year most of the weeds will have been smothered.  You can then uncover and cultivate it a bit at a time - weeds soon colonise freshly worked ground!

Hope this helps (I'm new too!)

Mel

peterryall

Carpet
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 23:20 »
You could also use some old carpet as this is quiet heavy it will help to rot down the weeds in the area that you do not want to work just yet.Try the local tip when people are trowing out their carpet unless you have some

noshed

Help Required
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 23:25 »
Glyphosate is good for persistent perennial weeds and it is good at clearing them - although use carefully. Once they're clear the annual weeds are easy to hoe off. It's certainly a way of getting started but I would have thought you'd need to get a move on while the growing season is still going, as glyphosate works by drawing the herbicide up through the leaves into the roots.
I've found that it's worth staking the plot out with string and pegs - immediately the whole thing looks more manageable. Even if you just glyphosate the paths it helps.
Once you've planned out your beds, compost heap, shed site etc you can change your mind 57 times but that's half the fun.
This is a good time to start.
I've found Grow Your Own Vegetables by Joy Larkom is a useful book.
Good luck!
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Spanky855

Help Required
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 10:56 »
Thankyou noshed

That little bit of re assurance makes all the difference.

We are so looking forward to challenges and rewards that an allotment can bring.
Your right about getting a move on , I think i have about a month to get the plot sprayed, just waiting for the right condition, no rain and no wind etc.
Thank again for yours and everyone elses advice, it much appreciated.

Regards

Lee and Sal

xx
Help Required

Started by Gareth73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 13, 2011, 09:08
by Gareth73
xx
Identification Required

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 21, 2009, 09:47
by SalB
xx
info required

Started by ganno on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 19:54
by Aidy
xx
watermelon help required

Started by soaplady on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 13:09
by gobs

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 35 queries.