Hi Everyone I'm new

• 24 Replies

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« on: December 16, 2006, 19:11 »
Hello everyone

I am a veritable vegetable virgin, and have just taken on a triangular plot at the top of a hill with weeds taller than me  :?

However, I am thrilled I can grow choclate, and Dairy Milk, anyone know where I can get a Wholenut tree?

All advice very welcome please, for example, what should I grow in the lower corner which will have more natural water than the rest?

jessegee
How is a Carrot like a Magnolia bush?

It isn't, that's why I joined this forum......

muntjac

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 19:14 »
hiya jessee ,welcome to the gang , if you dont flood but only get loads nice water ,try growing pumpkins and sqaushes .also tatties may fare well there .; for info on nuts see shaun he is a qualified member of that particular group
still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 19:16 »
Hi Jessegee, welcome to the forum.  You will find loads of info and help and laughs on here I can tell you!!  I just hope you have a sense of humour, you'll need it!!!! lol  Mind you, reading your post again, it ertainly looks like you have!!

We can probably find you the wholenut tree, but chocolate and dairy milk????  Tell me where!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't start with your lower corner.  I have a bit of vegetable patch that is a bit lower than the rest and it ruined my sweetcorn this year, but last year I had some brassicas and some runner beans on it and theywere fine.

Maybe Rice????? lol

Anyway, must go for now, but lok forward to talking again soon.  Take Care    Ann

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 20:46 »
Right, Ann, I'll save it for if we have a drought!

I'm not looking forward to the clearing process, and I think we will cheat by hiring a rotary cultivator, that'll satisfy Johns need for speed and machinery, and I can get on with planting something

I think there is a stranggly raspberry bush, should I hack it off to ground level, or leave it alone?

jessegee

muntjac

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 20:50 »
take it down and start afressh with new canes this year attached to some wires strung between some posts if you wants  :wink:

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 21:02 »
Okay, thanks, will do   :lol:

jessegee

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 22:11 »
Quote from: "jessegee"
Hello everyone

I am a veritable vegetable virgin,

jessegee

Hi jessegee - could you come to Crewe? Now, if only we can find three wise men......
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 22:30 »
lol!   Can I be Frankinsence, John?    :shock:

I must watch my peas and cabbage or I will get a bad name

Is there anything that I can plant outside next week?  

jessegee

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 22:36 »
You wouldn't look good with a bolt through your neck!

Rhubarb?

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 00:34 »
Myrrh, John, not Stein   :roll:

I can't stand Rhubarb, but I'll happily grow it for others, how do I buy it, in seed or plant form?

jessegee

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 08:40 »
You can buy plants or seeds - seeds are cheaper but take longer. If you don't like rhubarb then why not plant some bare rooted fruit trees or other soft fruit bushes?

Have you planned out you plot yet? That's probably the best thing to do first, then get your seed supplies in.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 09:01 »
Quote from: "jessegee"

I'm not looking forward to the clearing process, and I think we will cheat by hiring a rotary cultivator, that'll satisfy Johns need for speed and machinery, and I can get on with planting something

jessegee

The big danger there is if you've got a proliferation of stuff like bind weed & couch grass. If you just rotovate, you'll end up with 100 times what you started with! IMHO rotovators are fine for breaking ground up, but only if it's clear of perennial weeds.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 18:30 »
Thanks Dave, good to know, we cleared and dug a row today, there were alot of root balls and stuff in the soil, perhaps we will take it slow by hand

We have only guessed at a plan, John, a few salad and easy summer crops, with veg.  We're also planting some meadow seeds for our guinea pigs,  they can come up and eat while they watch me dig

I will look for some fruit bushes, are there any disease free good doers  that you can recommend?

jessegee

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 19:29 »
put aside a small patch and grow dandelions for the piggies, just remember to let them eat them al before they go to seed  :lol: you can eat them yourself as well if you like

my piggies are munching sprouts today  :)
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

jessegee

Hi Everyone I'm new
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 21:38 »
Aw yes, sprouts are a good favourite with mine too,  the stinkers    

Love your webpage, had a good old read, you guys are really into it, I'm impressed with all you acheive, and that hen house is brill, did you manage to move it without wheels, lol!

I miss my chickens, we used to have a few animals, but life changes and we're in strapped land now, so my guins are my only fur pals

Looking on the bright side though, we met "old Robert" today, he's been there 40years, and although he's seen our type come and go, I think he found us more entertaining than most when I nearly slipped into the waterbut

Robert says we get alot of Wildlife,  Deer, Rabbits, Pheasant, Foxes, Moles, Badgers, and every seed feeding bird you can imagine   :?

What do you guys make with Tayberry etc?

jessegee

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 33 queries.