What not to compost...

• 7 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
What not to compost...
« on: December 17, 2006, 16:19 »
Hi all, just got my first composter so i'm keen to get properly stuck in.  But I want to know what I can compost and what not.  I've heard no meat, fish, dairy and cooked products and fair enough.  But what about things like old bread, or cooked vegetables? Any advice?

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
What not to compost...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 17:49 »
What not to put in.

As in previous post and no nasty roots such as bindweed, couch grass, dandelion, dock etc as these will grow. No foriegn bodies (no I don't mean poles, but stones, glass, bricks, drinks cans and bottles), no pet or human feces and no tough prunings or anything with thorns.

What should go in.

Grass-cuttings, leaves, soft weeds, peelings and other vegetable waste from the kitchen including the cooked veg. Old potting compost can go in too. Things like bread are best left in an open space to feed the birds rather than putting in the compost heap to feed the mice.

silver8

• Experienced Member
What not to compost...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 18:48 »
you can also add some shreaded paper and broken up egg cartons.Nestles are great to,

silver8

• Experienced Member
What not to compost...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 18:52 »
nettles i mean and not the unfair trade coffee makers.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
What not to compost...
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 19:22 »
dont put old spuds in, or they will grow! tatty peelings should be alright though,

with regards pet waste- if your pets are rabbits, guinea pigs etc, thats ok put it in. But if they are cats or dogs keep it well away,

if you have small woody twigs and branches these can go in but cut them very small, about half an inch pieces, or shred them. remember that if theres lots of woody material it will take longer to compost down.

you should aim for a 50/50 mix of 'green' ie grass cuttings and plot/veg bits, and 'brown' ie leaves and twigs, for a good balance.

Oh, and remember the secret ingredient  :D  - piddle in it!  :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Oliveview

What not to compost...
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 08:53 »
Moved the compost my friends helped me fill......... told them thet twigs did not compost.......... had to rake over and remove all the old woody bits they had shoved in.  The rest of the waste had rotted down well.  I now have a large compost and we are being good saving all the household waste (green) that can be saved.  Spanish neighbours thought I was mad when I stripped the tree prunings of leaves and put them in a large plastic tub with a lid.  I tried to explain how they would turn into nice compost )leaves not the neighbours)
Pamela

muntjac

What not to compost...
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 11:28 »
can i just point out folks that if you put cooked food into compost ..RATS LOVE IT  specially things like pasta , the goodness in cooked food is lost ... when its cooked  feed the  food to the dogs cats or chooks .not your compost bin please
still alive /............

shaun

What not to compost...
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 17:59 »
this is where a shredder comes in very handy put and twigs small branches sweetcorn stems palm leaves anything realy that will fit in,it just gives everything a head start,
if you have runner beans they should be added when they are green,once they are dried out they take for ever to rot down
old spuds pumkins cucumbers and stuff like that just give them the side of the fork or shovel and get them in your heap.

i think that a pallet bin 1.5mx1.5mx1.5m full of composting material now would only give you 4-5 good barrow loads of finished compost next year if your lucky.you can bulk it up with rotted manure or leaf mouldif you like.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.547 seconds with 36 queries.