Plastics and carpets

• 15 Replies

Lilylove

Plastics and carpets
« on: May 08, 2018, 14:15 »
Hi All - new to this site and allotment gardening!  However, I have been an avid organic gardener of both veg and flowers in my own garden and am therefore not a total novice.

Four days ago, I became the tenant of the plot from hell which, to my knowledge, hasn't been used for 10+ years.  Apparently the previous tenant strimmed it once per year and kept it on (?!).  On this plot (50' x 40'), the whole area is thick with nettles, bindweed, 30' of brambles and all the usual perennial nasties.  (Next doors plot also has horsetail but no evidence (yet) of it on my bit).  There is also lots of metal, broken glass, a rotten shed and some rotting scaffolding boards which crumble as soon as you touch them! 

Now that I have handcut all the weeds to the floor, I find that I have inherited a layer of membrane, over carpet, over (crumbling) underlay, over yet more membrane and plastic (brittle and crumbling).  Many areas have at least 3-4 layers :mad:

Otherwise the plot is surrounded by beautifully mature deciduous trees which will have dropped a ton of leaves onto the plot over the years. The soil, when I can uncover it, looks good and is perfectly friable. 

Despite this, I have not been deterred (call me daft if you will) but it has suddenly dawned on me that all this detritus (particularly the carpets and plastic) will possibly have been leaking goodness knows what over the years.  Do you think I am safe to grow and eat things grown in the soil from the get go or should I postpone planting directly into the soil and focus on raised beds for the immediate future (and if so, for how long).

Sorry for the rant but thank you for any advice  :D

1st day - Back right.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Plastics and carpets
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 15:02 »
I would grow in the soil if it is in nice condition under the rubbish layers. In the past I have eaten veg grown after removing carpet, on my old plot, and I'm still here to tell the tale  :D
Also, to cut down on weeding (bad back!) I use a lot of weed control fabric on my plot - it may not be ideal - but it works.
Get the plot usable and growing, then you can start on getting the plot how you would prefer it to be (you may choose beds, raised or not?) but I've seen too many people give up before they've even grown anything simply because they wanted a perfect plot.

Lilylove

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 15:10 »
Thanks for your thoughts and response.  I definitely won't be giving up allotment gardening and stubborn is perhaps my middle name.  Do you know whether there are any soil kits which may test for contaminants - is there such a thing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 15:22 »
I've never heard of any tbh, sorry

I'd add that all the weed growth in that photo, is pointing to the soil being very healthy.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 15:24 by mumofstig »

Christine

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 15:38 »
Will the wood burn (wood ash good for the soil). Can you compost the weeds under black plastic in a corner - layer of weeds, layer of cardboard, water it,  layer of weeds, layer of cardboard, water it, ad infinitum till all weeds are out of site. But don't compost nettle roots or bind weed roots or brambles - these are for burning. That will allow you to get future compost and clear a lot of stuff.

Does your site provide skips? That's the way to get rid of carpet, glass, metal, plastic if it does. Otherwise you are going to have to organise yourself some trips to the tip with a trailer.

Notty1975

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 16:12 »
I feel your pain when I got my plots nearly 3 years ago It was well overgrown and as yours plenty of carpet plastic etc I’ve even found roofing felt as well as full pains of glass (right pain when buried and smash through them with the spade) I went the raised bed root and the first year I built the beds dug over and cleaned as much out as possible then covered in thick black plastic till getting them ready for this year I would probably prefer to get the plot cleared and ready and not grow for a year as apposed to struggling to keep on top of everything (planting weeding etc) as well as getting the rest usable
CB8E3415-EA4B-4DB3-9190-DC24D9F5631B.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 17:32 »
I would probably prefer to get the plot cleared and ready and not grow for a year as apposed to struggling to keep on top of everything (planting weeding etc) as well as getting the rest usable
Not growing for a year wouldn't be allowed under our site rules, so do check yours before you plan anything like that.

Notty1975

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 17:49 »
I would probably prefer to get the plot cleared and ready and not grow for a year as apposed to struggling to keep on top of everything (planting weeding etc) as well as getting the rest usable
Not growing for a year wouldn't be allowed under our site rules, so do check yours before you plan anything like that.
Yes good point I forget sometimes how relaxed my allotment is but yes please check with the secretary on what is expected from you as well as been previously mentioned about getting a skip

Lilylove

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 20:38 »
Thanks all for your advice.  I now have serious plot envy!! Now I just need to make a decision, tut, hmm!!!
Yes good point I forget sometimes how relaxed my allotment is but yes please check with the secretary on what is expected from you as well as been previously mentioned about getting a skip
This plot has obviously been neglected for years so I don't suppose they'll expect me to get it all shipshape overnight!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 21:03 »
Obviously  :) - but here, and I think other societies are the same, you would be expected to start growing some crops this year, by planting areas as you clear them.

Potterer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 14:55 »
I feel your pain! We have similar in places but luckily as we go along we are finding that the carpet, wood and plastic isn’t everywhere! We’ve gone the route of covering 3/4 of the plot in black membrane with the intention of preparing half the plot this year. I would be driven crazy by the weeds if I tried to keep them all down at the same time. I’m also going to plant squashes over the black membrane (I put some thick manure down under it too as a weed suppressant but also to feed the soil whilst sitting there). I’l make small mounds in gaps between the strips of membrane.

As you are already a gardener, you will know the ‘little and often’ idea rather than killing yourself trying to dig a lot. May I also recommend the azaleas/azdes- they’ve made a huge difference to what we’ve been able to achieve - so much easier than a fork in getting out horrible big nettle roots, brambles and the like! Good luck!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2018, 16:12 »
Obviously  :) - but here, and I think other societies are the same, you would be expected to start growing some crops this year, by planting areas as you clear them.
I am a site manager for one of the sites with HBGAA. Personally (and the buck stops with me) As long as cultivation is observed (Clearing and digging) I have no problems with new tennents taking on neglected plots. Normally I swing things so that the first year is rent  free and offer the use of my heavy plant to make things easier. Work is being done so job done.
I have two newbies this year that are sorting this year to grow properly next.
I run a happy site.Rules can be bent slightly but not broken.
I hope your mmanager is the same
May the fork be with you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2018, 17:51 »
Rules can be bent slightly but not broken.
I hope your manager is the same

We don't have site managers, only Reps,the local Council makes the rules and plot inspections, so they get to decide what is acceptable, or not.
As I said, they really do expect some crops to be grown in the first year, but as they don't mind courgettes/squash/pumpkins planted through weed control fabric,  it really isn't as hard to achieve as it sounds   :nowink:

Notty1975

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 20:47 »

If this is what’s required on your site see if you could get away with a green manure crop you’ll be growing as well as improving your land

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 23:31 »
Been there got the Tshirt and some good advise above.
As it happens you sound like you have already got a very good crop to harvest!
Nettles.
 I use them in all sorts from soup to adding it to fresh made pasta. Everybody who had no idea when they tasted it and loved it were very suprised.
Have a look around and see what is classed as weeds could actually be eaten as you go along.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

xx
Blanket ban on carpets (no pun intended)

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 10, 2010, 11:05
by TerryB

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 50 queries.