egg laying

• 7 Replies

redspookycooky

egg laying
« on: February 02, 2012, 14:12 »
Hi i have  8 girls who are roughly 9 months old, RIR, sussex, jersery giant and maran.I also have 2 silkies and 2 pekins(who have never laid yet and are approx 8 months old). I had a few eggs off my 8 girls last year but only about 3 a day not much when should have 8 laying,i haven`t had any eggs off them since about sept last year, any ideas what i`m doing wrong or when they will start laying again? Thought with the milder weather they might have laid me an egg or 2 :(  thanks

Casey76

Re: egg laying
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 14:17 »
It's not the cold which prevents the laying, but the amount of daylight.  Hopefully laying should recommence at the from end Feb onwards, and will almost certainly restart once the clocks go forward.

It takes approximately 14 hours of daylight to trigger the hormonal response to lay eggs :)

viettaclark

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 14:55 »
Some hybrids (especially the heavy ones like Marans) start laying late anyway. You will be over-run with eggs in a month or two......
Unless you have a bird like mine who goes from being broody to moulting to being broody which means NO EGGS!
(Yes Speckledie....I'm talking about you......)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 15:07 »
Some hybrids (especially the heavy ones like Marans) start laying late anyway. You will be over-run with eggs in a month or two......
Unless you have a bird like mine who goes from being broody to moulting to being broody which means NO EGGS!
(Yes Speckledie....I'm talking about you......)

I thought Marans were pure bred and not hybrids!   :unsure:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 15:39 »
Have you checked to make sure they're not laying and hiding them somewhere?  :nowink:

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 16:13 »
My hens gave up laying early November and I have not checked the nest boxes for some time. Last Sunday one of the hens, an Exchequer Leghorn, who insists on sleeping alone but laying in another coop, rushed out of her bedroom and into a nest box when I let them out, and I found that she had laid three eggs. So be patient, they will be back. 
Any day above ground is a good day.

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 16:20 »
You're right! Marans are the pure breed.
I'm thinking of my Magpie which is a Maran cross!!!
She didn't start laying until she was 38 weeks, started with softies then beautiful big brown eggs. With a blip of a few months laying softies again due to a big moult she's now back on track laying nearly every day and she's over 3 now!
Good girl! :D :D

hen-night

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 19:50 »
Egg production depends on the breed of hen,some go broody some dont,some lay more than others. I have Warrens a hybrid.. Rhode Island Red cross Light Sussex. They are a year old and I am getting 1 egg per bird per day still.At present they are molting and the day light hours are few, but this has'nt stopped them laying.::)It all boils down to what you want,fancy hens, or eggs!!

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
egg laying

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 29, 2008, 19:55
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.