egg laying

• 18 Replies

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
egg laying
« on: August 22, 2008, 14:08 »
Hi everyone! Can anyone help? Are there any signs I can look out for as to when my pol ambers will start to lay!? do they do anything different, does their behaviour change or do they just pop off to the nest box ? When they are stroked they squat down, their combs look red and they have huge fluffy bottoms! I cant get anything done at the moment cause im too busy watching the girls like an expectant grandparent (I know im a bit obsessed)  :oops: here are the girls in question! this pic was taken 2 weeks ago and their combs are redder now
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miller

egg laying
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 14:12 »
Anytime soon if our Babcocks are anything to go by  :D  combs went redder, then started squatting when stroked (rather than running off  :?  ) and a few days later eggies

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
egg laying
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 14:12 »
They still look quite young to me - but I have only had them since April.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
egg laying
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 14:14 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
They still look quite young to me - but I have only had them since April.

they are about 22 weeks by our estimation :?

compostqueen

egg laying
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 14:19 »
My hen chap told me they would probably lay from 22 weeks and he was right  :D

They're lovely birds, such a gorgeous colour

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
egg laying
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 14:19 »
Quote from: "Miller"
Anytime soon if our Babcocks are anything to go by  :D  combs went redder, then started squatting when stroked (rather than running off  :?  ) and a few days later eggies

Thanks for that we love babcocks too we'd like another babcock ( must check out Grannie Annie ) to go with our one ,Anik-hen, she is only 14 weeks and we have had her and 2 goldlines since eggs so it really has been a long wait for us ,hence the mad posts! all i want is an egg and i will shut up, my hubby is gonna put a shop bought one in there soon i reckon just to keep me quiet  :lol:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
egg laying
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 14:58 »
Hi, its me again!  Not sure if they look 22 weeks.  The Babcock's started when they were 17 weeks didn't they Miller???? lol  But not all are laying yet and they are now 19 weeks old.  

The Babcock's are lovely birds, we are really pleased with them.  The rest are going over the weekend and into next week, but I may have 2 left over, as a couple from Lincoln ordered 2 or 3, but didn't give me their phone number and I've got no way to ask if they still want them.

But if they are squatting, then it won't be long like Miller says.

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
egg laying
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 15:44 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Hi, its me again!  Not sure if they look 22 weeks.  The Babcock's started when they were 17 weeks didn't they Miller???? lol  But not all are laying yet and they are now 19 weeks old.  

The Babcock's are lovely birds, we are really pleased with them.  The rest are going over the weekend and into next week, but I may have 2 left over, as a couple from Lincoln ordered 2 or 3, but didn't give me their phone number and I've got no way to ask if they still want them.

But if they are squatting, then it won't be long like Miller says.
sorry have just asked you that question on my other post!!! if hubby says yes we will be on the look out for another

poultrygeist

egg laying
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 16:50 »
Their combs look a bit small yet. Maybe another couple of weeks ??

I was terribly impatient for our first and it was only when I stopped worrying that it happened. About 24 weeks I think.

Rob 8)

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
egg laying
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 16:56 »
All my hens squatted down when you went near them and within 3 days layed. Infact my Amber link layed her first yesturday an di noticed her squatting on Monday.
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
egg laying
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 17:31 »
WOW!! thanks for all these replies, this forum is keeping me occupied so im not out ther every 5 mins. their combs are twice the size of our 14 week old youngsters but i am also hoping that my babcock will lay at 17 weeks like grannie annies!? which is only 2 and half weeks away!!!!!!!!tee hee i know! i should shut up now. :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

egg laying
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 17:35 »
Wish mine would lay at 17 weeks. Not really expecting them till 24 weeks. Trying to console myself that I read somewhere that ducks that go into lay too early are prone to increased problems such as prolapse and shortened life (not sure I believe it but trying to use it to make myself feel better :roll: )
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mumsy

egg laying
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 22:42 »
In over a year of being on this forum, it has never come up before that they start to submit/squat at POL......my Black rock did this, but my legbar has never done ( & has been laying since April).  Dotty,(dorking)did today & is POL, Mimi (wheaten maran)is POL too & has not attempted to squat at all.  All I'm saying is that they may not do this at all.  I think it may depend on breed.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
egg laying
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 18:15 »
have a look at their poops. When they are going to start to lay they also start to eat a lot more. They need enough to make an egg as well as to keep alive and active, so their poops get huge.

Miller

egg laying
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 13:22 »
Our first Babcock laid at 17 weeks  - they are now coming up 20 weeks and we think 5 of the 8 are laying but they are all looking very grown up now and all squatting so could be inundated by the weekend!

One of the girls lays us a double yolker every 3 egg too  :D

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
The laying itself

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 17:54
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 37 queries.