Jiffy Pellets

• 16 Replies

rowlandwells

Jiffy Pellets
« on: March 24, 2018, 17:49 »
 watching Monty last night using jiffy pellets I thought that mite be worth trying so I ordered some  today give um a try I said to myself

and then I  thought why not ask our members on site  what they thought of Jiffy Pellets are they worth using  :unsure:

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Jiffy Pellets
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 19:56 »
I used to use them for my chillies but now I just them for cuttings.
I do like them a lot for reasons like not damaging/ disturbing root sytem when transplanting.
The only thing you have to watch is they can dry out pretty quick if you dont keep an eye on them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 21:11 »
I had the same thoughts when I saw Monty using them last night.  Went looking for them today in the garden centre.  I couldn’t believe the price 🤪🤪. A pack of 20 were more expensive than a 70l bag of seed compost.  My daughter said she will check the pound shop beside her to see how much they are there.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 11:18 »
I got mine from the internet. They worked out at just over 4p each but that was a couple of years ago. I use mine mainly for peppers and chillies but also use them for fennel. Like Aidy says they're great for things that don't like root disturbance and it's surprising how much water they'll take up on a regular basis. I stand them in the bottoms of plastic takeaway type tubs, which will hold 7 or 8.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 14:00 »
Try losing the brand name and just look for coir pellets, much more reasonable prices around then ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 16:42 »
your rite they are a little cheaper on line but as we don't buy online I bought our from wests & E  I think a 100 was around sixteen quid inc:pp  so ill give them a try nothing ventured nothing gained A"

Eblana

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 18:22 »
I just ordered 100 on line, they were cheaper than the 20 brand named ones in the GC.  I have a few things that don’t like root disturbance so I will give them a go with them.

Mum2mj

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 18:30 »
You can get 100 x42mm for £8.50 incl p+p on eBay x

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 22:15 »
You need to be a bit careful with some of them:

- as others have said, they can dry out easily
- when you plant them out, make sure that they don't stand up above the soil level, or they will act as a wick and continue to dry out
- if they have mesh around the outside of them to hold them together, often the roots may be constricted by the mesh.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Christine

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 19:26 »
I once bought some from the Pound Shop to give them a try. Never again as no matter how well watered they were the roots stayed coiled inside. Suspect that it was me being a cheapskate mind.

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 19:50 »
I've never had any problems with roots not getting out of the pellets - often they grow out of one and into its neighbour! As i use them mainly for peppers and chillies they always get planted deep. The only other thing I'd say is to get ones with the mesh covering as I've found those without can break up and fall apart when handled, particularly if they are allowed to dry out.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:13 »
talking of jiffy pots do you think it would be a good idea to sow swede seed in jiffy pellets and what about parsnip seed in jiffy pellets and carrots to start of ?

or alternatively would peat pots be a better option for those veg seeds planting in  peat pots with little  root disturbance when planting out  i have tried paper pots in the past with little success what's your thoughts on this  :unsure:

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 10:17 »
 forgot to mention putting jiffy pellets in cat litter trays they hold water and there not to expensive if you shop around just a thought

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 12:35 »
talking of jiffy pots do you think it would be a good idea to sow swede seed in jiffy pellets and what about parsnip seed in jiffy pellets and carrots to start of ?

or alternatively would peat pots be a better option for those veg seeds planting in  peat pots with little  root disturbance when planting out  i have tried paper pots in the past with little success what's your thoughts on this 
The mesh on pellets doesn't degrade very well, and would, I think, stop the parsnips from swelling. parsnips also don't like hitting the restriction of the bottom of a peat pot, so wouldn't recommend them either.
Carrots are always best sown direct IMO
Swede isn't as fussy and I use either paper pots or  module trays for them, as sown direct they seem to get decimated by flea beetle, here :(

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2018, 09:33 »
i note what your saying mum so it mite be back to paper pots because for some reason or another I can never get parsnips to grow from seed on the allotments don't know why?

so I need to start my parsnip seed of in pots or other methods before transplanting them in the ground any ideas ?

xx
Jiffy 7 pellets

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post January 28, 2013, 16:27
by pdblake
xx
Any advice on Jiffy plugs or pellets?

Started by out4nowt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 27, 2008, 02:32
by Trillium
xx
Thoughts on jiffy 7's?

Started by Becci W on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 11:07
by compostqueen
xx
looking to buy peat free jiffy 7s

Started by veggienut on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 02, 2009, 14:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 35 queries.