Confessions....of a closet allotment holder

• 11 Replies

Jenny

« on: July 21, 2006, 17:16 »
Okay, I admit it.  :oops:
I have been secretly looking at this site for quite a while now without registering and finally the guilt caught up with me and I felt I had to 'out'.
So, 'Hello!'
I've had my allotment for three years but despite the lack of rain, this year is the best so far.
Currently I am eating: carrots, peas, courgettes (the whole 19p packet germinated - that's about 15 plants...), cucumbers, potatoes (but not many due to the drought) and yesterday I had my first ripe tomato and a sweetcorn!!!
I am growing: everything I'm eating..., runner beans, vegetable spaghetti and butternut squash, pumpkins, onions, chillis, melons, cabbages, salsify, leeks, lettuce (bolted), parsnips, asparagus peas, coriander and some other herbs, kohl rabi and sweet potatoes.
Despite being 'up north' I have been praying for rain for two months with very little result. Hasn't it been an odd year??!!!

Jenny

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 17:32 »
Hi Jenny
Anyone would think it's sinful being an allotmenteer! 'My name is Jenny and I have an allotment'' LOL  :tongue2:
Surprised you have sweetcorn already - mine are nowhere near and I'm a bit south of you. Haven't been to hull for a long time but I do recall it was a little cool. In fairness it was winter and I nearly got the car stuck in a blizzard on the M62.
Anyway, now you're out of the closet you can go on the growing pride march.
Lovely to have you onboard.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

BillinPA

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 18:03 »
Quote from: "john"
Hi Jenny
Anyone would think it's sinful being an allotmenteer! 'My name is Jenny and I have an allotment'' LOL  :tongue2:

Sounds like joining a 12 step program for an addiction!! :oops: But it's a good addiction to have................ :lol:
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 21:59 »
Welcome onboard.

It is a great community - friendly, full of advice and support.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 22:33 »
Yes, Hi from me too down in in sunny south lincolnshire!!!

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 00:11 »
How in heavans name do you get through the courgettes from 15 plants. I planted 6 expecting some losses, and one plant obliged. Now the courgettes  are getting to 1 kilo  in 2-3 days from embrios so you must be noshing 10 kilos a week.

I think most people will be struggling with the potatoes this year, particularly when the maincrop is due. Jerusalems anyone.

How is the sweet potatos doing and are you using shop bought tubers or proper slips? I'm nosy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 09:41 »
Jerusalems...  you'll be able to supply a methane generator :)

My early potatoes are reasonable - so hoping that the maincrop work out. No hosepipe ban our way, so giving them a good soaking every 3 days or so.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 10:25 »
I had 11 courgette plants germinate.  Planted 4 first in last year's compost bin, then another 4 (they are a bit crowded now!!)  and 3 in the polytunnel, but they didn't like it there, so put them in a big trough outside with loads of manure under them.  But they are stillnot happy.  wondering whether to leave them or try to move them again as they haven't grown very big.

Had loads of courgettes so far, eaten loads (even raw when I'm walking around with the dog, she loves them too!) given loads to my friend Sharon and frozen some, even if they are only of use in stews in the winter, at least they won't get wasted!!

Jenny

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58 »
Courgettes are being eaten with everything (and I've found out that they taste quite nice raw). I am hoping to make a chutney or something similar with my surplus. I am using some of my spares in my flower garden to beef it out a bit :D
As for sweet potatoes, I bought some slips last year, not Beaureguard because T+M sent out something else instead, um T37 or some such forgettable name, and it is SO EASY to take cuttings that I have grown on a couple of plants this year. It does look like I am growing bindweed in my greenhouse but there we are...
Last year my soil was not really fine enough so I had a couple of decent sized ones and then some tiny little mishapen potatoes  - in fact I still have some left from last year. They'll do for soup.

Oliver

Sweet potatoes
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 10:45 »
Quote from: "Jenny"
as for sweet potatoes ... take cuttings

Now that's an idea! they like them roasted or boiled.

So - what do you take cuttings of and when; when do you plant them cuttings; do they like sun or shade; shall she sieve the soil first before they go in; or would they be happier in a LARGE pot in the poly?

Answers would be much appreciated! Thank you - Anything to keep Her quiet!
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Jenny

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 13:40 »
All I did was trim off the tips of new growth and strip the larger leaves off, leaving a cutting about 10cm high. Bung them around the edge of a decent sized pot and leave them on a window sill over winter. Mine were in need of potting up in February! (Well, I think they are related to bind weed...)
I did try to take cuttings from a supermarket sweet potato and it should work fine but the potato will rot if you're not careful - I stuck the cut side down in a saucer and I got a few sprouts.
This year I have mine in a grow bag in the greenhouse on the allotment so a large pot should be fine. But, sweet potatoes don't tolerate frost and go all slimy like dahlia tubers do. Still I think they are exciting to grow!

hermon

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 13:51 »
i have to sweet potatoes sprouted on my window sill some of the stems are about5 inches long shall i plant them on my plot? also i tried 2 lots of slips from T&M  but no luck with any of them! :x

xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
question
Advice for new allotment holder

Started by Juliek1313 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:58
by Juliek1313
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 37 queries.