Beryl has a bad limp?

• 9 Replies

bexy

Beryl has a bad limp?
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:55 »
Hi.
I have just noticed that Beryl top hen has a bad limp.
I was up on the roof of the chicken house repairing the roofing felt so Beryl and Doris decided to be nosy and jump up on a nearby bench stretching their necks to see what i was doing :wacko:
Anyway i didn't see what happened but i am guessing that she may have fell badly when getting down,then again it was about half hour later before i noticed her limp so it could be something else :(

I picked her up and checked her over,she seems fine and is eating etc.
She also managed to get to the top of the roosting bench but with a wobble and flapping of wings and is now sunbathing.

I am not sure what to do now,should i just leave her and she how she is later,i don't want to stress her out by bothering her unnecessarily  :unsure:

Beano

Re: Beryl has a bad limp?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:08 »
Our top hen Poppy was limping badly one evening when we came home from work. We left her as she was, with the others. It was a mistake because the next day she must have done more harm to herself and was not even able to stand up.
Perhaps you should put her safe from any climbing opportunity. Somewhere where she can see the others but have her own food and drink. What happened to Poppy the second day I can only guess, but the other two were broody and very pushy and she probably got pushed off the nest when she went to lay.
Something similar might happen to yours. So keep her safe from harm.
By the way, Poppy did recover eventually (it took weeks) but would, I'm sure have been better off had we separated her as soon as we noticed her limping.
Hope yours recovers sooner rather than later!!
El.

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 13:15 »
I went to the vet only last week with one of one that had a limp, the vet said to reduce her space so she cant move around much and has to rest.
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Rubellite

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 21:19 »
I've got one with a limp at the moment :(
Little Bella, an ex-batt. It started with a poorly wing, then I assume she fell of the perch and hurt her leg, then got knocked over in the morning rush out of the pophole. She has now been moved to safety. I confined her to the ark (no perches) for a couple of days, now I have let her out to potter around during the day, she is slowly on the mend. She's fine in herself, just needs time to heal away from the rough and tumble.
I agree, separating her from the others sooner would have been a better move.

too many girls

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 21:36 »
our Henrietta is a cobb hen and as such is a very heavy bird, when she jumped off the garden fence (escape bid?) she broke her leg, we set it with plaster and 2 lolly sticks  (que plasterama, Bishop Auckland and i'm advertising now :)) "excuse me, can i have some plaster for a broken leg?" they gave us the plaster free :D and wished Henrietta well, her leg never healed straight , but she's not in pain she just goes on her way with a slight  limp.......................

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 21:44 »
Have a feel her hock of the effected leg! my Paxo had a bad limp and her hock was hot and a little swolen, (which indicated a sprain, the vet said) i took the advice of the guys on here and popped her onto a cat carrier with food and water so she couldnt move around and after a couple of days she was as right as rain  :happy:

Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bexy

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 17:29 »
Just an update on Beryl.
She now seems to be ok,think she may have pulled a muscle when being nosey .
I tried putting her on her own like adviced but she made it worst my stomping up and down the small pen demanding to be let out and being very vocal with it :nowink:

The only way i could get her to rest was to leave her in the large pen but unfortunately for the other hens they had to stay in there too otherwise we would have had a strppy hen again  ::)

The only change i have noticed in her is that she doesn't seem to be as bossy as before.

Thanks for all the advice.This is a fantastic forum which makes me feel very much in touch  :)

Rubellite

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 21:53 »
Glad Beryl is up and running again  :)

Oliveview

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:33 »
My sisters name is Beryl- I wonder if she has a limp too?   :lol:
Glad your Beryl is ok now
Pamela

Beano

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 12:13 »
So pleased to hear that Beryl is better!!
Perhaps her stroppy nature helped her get better quickly.
I love a happy ending.

xx
Beryl and Brenda RIP

Started by Chrysalis on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2014, 12:52
by Debz
xx
Need a couple of buddies for Beryl.

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 16:50
by ANHBUC
xx
Limp?

Started by Jamesy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 16:21
by Jamesy
xx
Pekin limp

Started by chloe on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 13:29
by chloe

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 34 queries.