sarpo mira potatoes.

• 16 Replies

LILLILEAF

sarpo mira potatoes.
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:13 »
I planted this type of seed potato for the first time this year,they have proved to be excellent in size,some weighing in at over a 1lb and much more,we dug 6 plants and got just under 40lb of spuds,and they are blight resistant.
They will be great for the chip lover,egg and chips being one of the easiest meals to make and with our own eggs :),they will roast and boil so a good all round spud i will be growing them next year.
Have you had a good crop?.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Re: sarpo mira potatoes.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 08:38 »
I've planted some of these for the first time this year but planted a couple of other types also and was running out of space when it came to these and planted them much closer together than the recommended distance.  They appear to have grown well but am just about to chop the haulms off so won't know the yield until I've left them for a couple of weeks to harden.  Will report back.   Good to know yours have done well. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:59 »
Please let us know what you think of them as some people don't like the taste. Although I'm told they make fantastic chips and are good cooked in their jackets.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 13:21 »
They fall apart easily if boiled.  Steaming is better, but if I grow them, they usually end up as baked potatoes.

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 14:45 »
Always found them to be tasty enough and haven't had trouble boiling them either. They also store pretty well: we were using last year's until the end of June.

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 19:26 »
i'm also trying these for the first time, haven't taken any up yet, but had to take the Estima out early due to blite, so far Sarpo Mira haven't been affected greatly, I'm also trying Golden Wonder, the  Grandchildren keep asking when will i be harvesting the packets and what flavour will they be. I'm not really bothered as long as Gary Lineker isn't there! 

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 21:57 »
My dad grew these for a few years, and I've got a couple of rows in as well (alongside some Roosters). always found them really nice. There are several types of Sarpo's, with these being the most popular. Very nice potatoes.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 12:03 »
Tried Sarpo Mira for two years and just did not like them, but the almost Sarpo potato Blue Danube is really quite tasty. Trying Carolus this year for blight resistance.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 12:39 »
I've grown Sarpo Mira for the last five years. A friend gave me some to try and I've saved seed ever since. Blight is a real problem here most years so I was really pleased to have a 'guaranteed' crop.
I can grow them next to really susceptible to Blight varieties like Belle de Fontenay or Pink Fir Apple and the Sarpos just carry on regardless even once the others have gone down with it.
They can make huge tubers - sometimes too big, and the leaves stay green right until the first frosts. They spread and flop a lot, so seem to need more space than other varieties.

At first I loved them for their reliability. Now I find them less satisfying. They seem to be a vole magnet - all the big ones have been eaten this year leaving lots of too tiny for eating but fine for using as seed next year. They also get more attention from slugs than other varieties - last year I lost count of the numbers I had to discard as they were completely riddled with slug tunnels and useless for cooking.

The Blight resistance is a massive positive but, for me, the taste isn't that amazing - they mash ok, but I don't think they boil that well. They chip ok, but perhaps have a higher sugar content as they seem to brown quickly (obviously that could be my cooking ;)) They are OK for baking and roasting.

I will always plant at least a few, but will be trying some of the other resistant ones next season.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 15:49 »

I grew some when they came out at first, as then I was very bothered with blight, one year I got almost no potatoes at all!

They grew well, massive crop of massive potatoes but had a disgusting taste, myself, dear wife or kids could eat them, gave the in laws some, my mum in law asked if I was trying to poison her, so the rest were dumped!

Posted about them on the GW forum which was discussing them, got an almost instant reply from Alys Fowler correcting me and saying I was misinformed, I still have the same opinion of them now and her, am still here, never heard of her since!

Have not had much of my crop bothered by blight since then, but boy it has come back with a vengeance this season!
STOP, and smell the roses!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 16:02 »
First time for me as well, just one row.
Been digging them up and they are of big size and plenty on, the only dish we have (thats me) cooked was Crispy Sichuan Hash Brown and eggs.
They were pretty good and cooked well.
This could be a staple in the future.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 23:01 »
Well, I think it's time for me to dig up all my spuds at the weekend (they are all yellowing). So I will see what my Sarpos are like.

al78

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 09:32 »
I usually do ok with Sarpa. I don't get a spectacular crop but what I get is blight and slug free. I guess the taste is so bad even the slugs won't touch them if there is anything better nearby.  :D I've found them fine to eat, I steam them and they don't fall apart.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 15:36 »
We like them, but find they can be susceptible to bacterial rot especially if they get too big.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 08:14 »
I'm growing Sarpo axona this year, which are supposed to have a better flavour than mira.  I've always found mira fine to eat, but perhaps it depends on your soil  :unsure:  Some really dislike them.  I'd say they are not the most highly flavoured spud, but perfectly acceptable.

Axona are supposed to be a couple of weeks later than most main crops.  Mine are certainly growing like triffids and showing no sign of yellowing yet.  There is blight on our site, but they are unaffected.

I'm interested to see how they compare come harvest time :)

xx
sarpo mira potatoes

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2014, 23:33
by Yorkie
xx
Blight and Sarpo Mira Potatoes

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 20:18
by lilou
xx
Sarpo Mira potatoes problem...

Started by veggieman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 20:50
by azubah
xx
sarpo Mira

Started by bravemurphy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 22:44
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 36 queries.