Coop Build from design to completion - With photos!!

• 90 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Thoughts please on coop design......
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 12:23 »
Spud I see on another post you need yours movable and the run fox proof - you could build one like HF's and use electric fencing or if you build weld mesh panels and tie these together with several tie wraps but don't forget to put a wire skirt facing outwards to prevent foxes digging under. These panels like the electric fencing can be moved to fresh ground whenever you need to  :D
Use the thickest weldmesh you can get and have the holes about 1/2" by 1" size (Hills of Devon sell by the roll and will deliver very quickly  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 14:12 »
tnx JF I have the room to free range them, but way too many foxes for me to rest easy, so I'll start by buiding a largish moveable type house/run combo.
I'm wanting to start a forest garden in the same area so looking for helpful ideas there too.
tnx again

Best Regards,

spud

Diggit

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2011, 22:50 »
I got most of the wood today so I can start making saw dust this weekend!  :) Well, not much saw dust hopefully, I used the design drawing to work out the measurements and had two sheets cut to size at the suppliers  ;)
Paul

hillfooter

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 09:29 »
I got most of the wood today so I can start making saw dust this weekend!  :) Well, not much saw dust hopefully, I used the design drawing to work out the measurements and had two sheets cut to size at the suppliers  ;)

I've great hopes for your design Diggit so best of luck and lets see some photos of it in progress and when finished.

HF
Truth through science.

Diggit

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 13:25 »
Thanks HF. I shall take pictures as you say ;)

Just one last question if I may? Looking at corrugated sheet in B&Q the other day, I see that the standard width is 900mm. As my coop is to be 1200mm wide and 800mm deep I'm now thinking now of slanting the roof from side-to-side rather than the standard front-to-back, so to my question............. Should the nest box be in the shallow end or the high end? I dont suppose it matters too much as the slant isn't enough to make much difference but I thought I would invite ideas as I have had some greats tips before during this thread.  8)

Thanks

Casey76

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 13:40 »
II would have the nest bock at the "high" end, otherwise if you collect eggs in the rain you are going to get wet!

Diggit

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 14:06 »
Good point ;)

It would also save the nest box roof from a constant running/dripping of water when its raining. ;)

Thanks  :D

hillfooter

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 14:22 »
I'm not sure what B& Q sell but if it's like my local Jewsons it's fairly thin corrigated bitumen board.  If you can find it Onduline (which is the manufacturer) corrigated board is much stiffer and is the prefered board to be used on stables and animal housing.  If there's a local stable builder you might even be able to scrounge an off cut for next to nothing.  It's worth shopping around for to find rather than the thin bendy bitument board. 

If you do use this make sure it's supported with "beams" underneath as it tends to sag over time otherwise.  When fixing drill through the highs and obviously not the valleys which will leak. 

It's not a problem to overlap the corigations you only need to do one overlap for it to be water proof so I wouldn't worry just overlap it.
HF

joyfull

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 15:44 »
another name for it is coroline  :)

Diggit

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2011, 19:25 »
Thanks guys, I'll have a search around ;) I'll go back to B&Q too and have a closer look at what they had. I'm sure the stuff I saw was quite thick but then I've not seen anything else so I have nothing to compare it to in my mind.

I have an idea now though of things to look for so thanks ;)

joyfull

Re: Thoughts please on coop design......now with photos!!.....
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2011, 19:53 »
looking forward to seeing the photos Diggit  :)

Diggit

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2011, 16:40 »
I didn't get as much time as I'd hoped in the garage today but I have made a good start. I decided to build the nest box first to make it easier to work out the side panel of the coop later on, and that led to modification number one before I'd even started!  ::) I went with 2 nest boxes instead of one......... just incase  ;) They say these chickens are addictive you know!  :D

I laid everything out to make sure I had all I need...

The larger pieces I have bought and had cut for this project, but most of the other stuff is what I have accumulated over time as woodwork is a hobby of mine. This was when I realised that the pieces I'd found for the nest box were the perfect size for 2.

I cut a slot for a piece of the removable door to locate into. It didn't quite work out as planned and I found I had a gap along the bottom which would have let a draft through  ::) I added the thin strip along the front to cover this. Once I'd fitted that, I was worried about rain getting in behind it so I added some bead along the door to keep things dry and draft-free.

Not as planned but worked out well in the end. The whole piece is removable for cleaning and egg collecting. The swivel catches are only temporary to make sure it worked well and went on and off easily which thankfully it did. It's a shame about the strip along the bottom as the idea was to leave it clear for easy cleaning but it'll be fine for the nest boxes, I'll try something different for the coop door.

Tomorrow's job will be the main coop. Although it's a lot bigger it should be simpler than the nest boxes (fingers crossed!)  ::)

Looking good so far  8)

uba

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2011, 17:53 »
this is a great thread, i'm looking to make a coop for myself so I will be checking in here to see your progress and any hurdles you find along the way.

Nice work so far though :)
Two wrongs don't make a right but three lefts do.

Diggit

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2011, 16:00 »
Thanks Uba. I hope it can help in some way. I'm enjoying it so far ;)

I had a good few hours today. After playing around with the nest box for so long yesterday I really wanted to get the main coop together.

I started with the 2 side pieces. Firstly cutting the angles for the roof.

Then offering the nest box up to mark out the holes.

Then finally mounting it.

The view from inside the coop...

Then the opposite side which was pretty simple in comparison..

And joined the 2 together with the floor piece...

I offered up the front a back panels to check the fit all thankfully all is well. Next stage is to cut the pop hole and work out the fitting of the removable back panel. I want to leave the front panel until the very end so I can have easy access to the back panel from both sides for marking holes/slots etc.

Staining it should be fun, I'm running out of room. I think I need a good tidy-up.....

Whilst I had all of the panels in place I laid in some off-cut that are the same as the wood that I'll be using for the perches. I need to work out the best way to do the grid system so that it's removable and cleanable, yet still solid when in position and the hens skipping along it  ???

I'm really enjoying this project. I don't want to carry now until I've thought through the back door properly. After messing around and having to compromise with the nest box door I want to learn from that and get it right first time.  ::) :D

xx
New coop - build or buy?

Started by justasec on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 23, 2018, 11:08
by Aidy
xx
Planning new coop - comments on design?

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 08:51
by Casey76
xx
coop photos

Started by Louise on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 19:56
by mdueal
xx
Building a new coop (photos included!)

Started by Casey76 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 16:47
by alibean

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 30 queries.