What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

stompy

Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41 »
Yesterday

Went to the allotment staright from picking the kids up from schools and nursery.
They made a mess and cleared "some" weeds from their patches.

I planted my onion sets (Turbo) and dug over a 4' x 10' patch with a view to using the 3 prong cultivator to fine it off, i have bent the blade on my budget (£6.99) digging spade so need to buy a new one
Also made ammendments to my 6' x 8' greenhouse border by removing 2 slabs from the path to give me more growing space.

Next job is to sow the pepper plants.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2017, 19:38 »
I've been away vagabonding since mid January, so checked my raised beds this week with a feeling of slight trepidation. I was relieved to find everything was fine.
I've been fighting what seemed to be a losing battle to grow purple sprouting broccoli. I only had three vaguely viable plants left when I went away and I was expecting them to have gone the way of the others. Two had, but one had not only survived, it was ready to start harvesting. To say I was delighted is an understatement!

Redgoat

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2017, 22:46 »
1st day on new plot.
dug and cleared area that i plan to put potatoes and started planning where everything else is to go.

Going to be a busy few weeks  :D

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2017, 21:34 »
Sowed broad beans, bit of weeding and a trip to the allotment shop.

Andy.

Martin70

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2017, 13:38 »
Sowed Tomatoes and Aubergines today.

Picked up some onion and shallot sets plus this year's experiment Asparagus.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2017, 13:43 »
Dug over a couple of areas and covered. Need to do a more thorough job before sowing or planting but this will slow down the weeds at this point. Also turned over a raised bed and planted a bag of onions. Interesting that my planting ruler said 3" apart but that looked tight. So I have planted some at 3" and others at 5" will see whether it makes a significant difference. I am growing to eat not show so I don't need monsters! Noted that my neighbor had put a fleece over his onions so piled out a fleece cloche and covered mine too. Nights could be cold and hopefully this will put off the birds too.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

paulusm

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2017, 14:27 »
Planted Strawb plants, planted parsnips  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2017, 16:45 »
In the garden made a start on washing last years pots, every year I say I'm going to do them as I empty them! And every year I've got hundreds need washing👿 Will I ever learn
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2017, 17:52 »
Planted Strawb plants, planted parsnips  :)

Sounds like a good start.  Hello and welcome btw  :)

Today I finshed work early, so time was grabbed for pricking out shallot and onion seeds into modules, plus some more seed sowing.  The first of the tomatoes were among the seed packets clutched in my hot little hand :)

paulusm

« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2017, 14:30 »
Digging + planted 2 rows of earlies, hopefully not too early  :wacko:

@newshoot Thanks!

victoria park

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 16:15 »
Charlottes and Jerseys planted today. Thought I would try the poundland organic potato fertiliser to see how effective it is. Dressed one half of the crop.
Took off the net over the winter onions/garlic and scoffed quite a bit of sprouting broccoli.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2017, 20:48 »
Finally managed to incinerate my raspberry prunings and other assorted twigs etc. Good news was a couple of days without rain helped dry out the material enough for it to burn well. Previous attempts failed as the wood was too damp. Spent the time weeding more beds and ducking the smoke. Weather willing I think I will prepare a bed and some potato bags tomorrow. Not sure I am brave enough to plant yet but spuds are chitting vigorously and in danger of getting too warm in the conservatory.

Cheers HH

stompy

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2017, 07:28 »
Yesterday

I took and old metal desk frame to the allotment and put it in the greenhouse as my sowing bench, i also put a mesh top on it to allow sun to get underneith it so i can grow plants under there whilst growing my mellons on top in pots and trays.
doesnt' sound like i did much but it took me a while to decide on the final placement and get the top fixed securely.

Checked the onion sets and watered the blubery bushes in pots in the greenhouse.
Also checked the spuds thta are chitting in there and the shoots are nice and stubby but growing steadily, i will look to planting the earlies at the end of the month to beginning of next.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2017, 11:44 »
Yesterday

I took and old metal desk frame to the allotment and put it in the greenhouse as my sowing bench, i also put a mesh top on it to allow sun to get underneith it so i can grow plants under there whilst growing my mellons on top in pots and trays.

That's a nifty bit of recycling.  I like the mesh top idea  :D

Yesterday I finally emptied all my old planters from last year and got the compost bagged up ready to take to the plot.  I'm going to top off compost bins with it and grow in them.

I'm at job no. 1 today, so have sneakily booked a couple of quotes in for OH tonight, so I can slip off to the plot and deliver them.  I can do that, get home and get tea on without him pacing around restlessly now  ;)  :lol:

Paul Plots

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2017, 12:42 »
Shoved the swoe around the garlic and autumn planted onion sets.... very few weeds but it allowed a little air into the surface after winter rains flattened the soil.

Still no purple sprouting :( but the shallots are shooting well and the beetroot is through :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2015

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

923 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 18:35
by mumofstig
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 49 queries.