Help! Composting conundrum

• 12 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
Help! Composting conundrum
« on: March 21, 2015, 13:51 »
Afternoon Allotmenteers ...

I'm currently clearing my plot (I know, I should have done it by now), and wonder what to do with all the grass and weeds (and their corresponding roots) that I'm digging up. Can I put all this material into the compost bins? Do I need to let them rot down a bit on the side of the plot first? Can I put the potatoes I'm finding in the ground into the bins (or could we eat those)? If the answer to any of the above is no, what do I do with the stuff?

Thanks muchly.

Headgardener22

Re: Help! Composting conundrum
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 14:31 »
I would put it all into your compost. I know the theory is that you should not put perennial weeds and roots (particularly couch grass) into the compost but I've found its best to get it all "out of the way" and sort through it when you dig it out in 12 months time.

There are two problems with putting potatoes into compost:
1. They encourage rats; and
2. They could harbour blight.

I would normally put them in the dustbin.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 14:52 »
I know the theory is that you should not put perennial weeds and roots (particularly couch grass) into the compost but I've found its best to get it all "out of the way" and sort through it when you dig it out in 12 months time.

I agree. Perfect Composting Technique can come later ... I did Proper Composting years ago - making sure I had the right mix, no weed seeds, all that jazz.  It took way too much time so I, now, just chuck everything in.  Not that I am recommending that - if nothing else it will spread some weed seeds back onto the plot, but I get plenty blown in anyway ... - but its "better than nothing" and having as much compost as possible is at least as good a benefit as the downside of having to do some extra weeding

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 15:48 »
I try to keep couch and bindweed roots out, but everything else just gets slung in there nowadays.

Too lazy for sorting things out, I'm embarrassed to say  :blush:

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2015, 16:00 »
thanks all - music to my ears .... will keep the spuds out, but the rest's going in. Yay :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2015, 18:39 »
I try to keep couch and bindweed roots out, but everything else just gets slung in there nowadays.

Too lazy for sorting things out, I'm embarrassed to say  :blush:

You are not alone  :lol: :lol:

It is helpful to add some shredded paper if you have any, as it makes an excellent compost ingredient, and stops any chance of a pile of slimy stuff developing. I get it by the sackful from where I used to work.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 08:18 »
Grab yourself some plain brown cardboard (surely there are lots of places you can get boxes) and add a layer every so often to stop your heap going slimy.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 18:48 »
I too would like some compost advice...

I opened up my compost bin today and found two great big snails, my first thought was to remove them, and then the voice inside my head said leave them at least you know they will not be eating your new plants.

To quote a song "should they stay or should they go"  I am new to composting and feel like I am not getting it right...yet.

P.S. Are woodlice friends or foes in a compost bin  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 19:10 »
Leave everything as it is - nothing more natural than nature's recycling and all sorts of creepy-crawlies are involved with that.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

oldgrunge

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 19:42 »
Leave everything as it is - nothing more natural than nature's recycling and all sorts of creepy-crawlies are involved with that.  ;)
I second that.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

ptarmigan

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 08:40 »
Third that! Everything goes in, obvious nasties hooked out afterwards when it's crumbled down.

A top tip is if you've got a whole compost bin full that's in the process of composting, plant a squash or narrow on the top for the summer, you might have to make a dip in the top and start it off with some multi purpose compost, leave for the summer and you'll have a bin full of lovely crumbly compost. The roots do something to it...and a squash!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 19:21 »
Third that! Everything goes in, obvious nasties hooked out afterwards when it's crumbled down.

A top tip is if you've got a whole compost bin full that's in the process of composting, plant a squash or narrow on the top for the summer, you might have to make a dip in the top and start it off with some multi purpose compost, leave for the summer and you'll have a bin full of lovely crumbly compost. The roots do something to it...and a squash!

This works superbly well. Last year I had a very productive Thelma Sanders squash plant in our big pallet bin, that gave us five large squashes

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:33 »
Thanks for the hints and tips everyone  :) :D :lol:

xx
Conundrum

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 17:25
by Babstreefern
xx
The Chilli conundrum...

Started by B_and_D on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 14:38
by BabyStar
xx
pepper conundrum

Started by hasbeans on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2018, 09:47
by hasbeans
xx
Coltsfoot conundrum

Started by zither on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2013, 21:49
by Springlands

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 35 queries.