Holiday Watering

• 7 Replies

Dagenham Dave

Holiday Watering
« on: March 09, 2015, 13:18 »
Hi. I hope this post is in the correct section (moderators please move it if you think there is a more suitable home). Recently I took on a large allotment and was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas for how to keep plants watered when I go on holiday. Unfortunately, hosepipes are banned on site even if attached to water butts which is unfortunate, as I have an irrigation system from when I had a larger garden. Also, I don't know anyone locally who would be able to water for me and working shifts, it'd be difficult for me to pay someone back in kind.

Fairy Plotmother

Re: Holiday Watering
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 13:28 »
We are not allowed hoses on our site either. Before we go away, we give everything a good soaking and keep our fingers crossed. Our plot holder chums are very helpful and keep their eyes on things and will water when necessary. I will be relying on them this year as we are away for most of June.

Dagenham Dave

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 13:31 »
Thanks Fairy Plotmother.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 15:29 »
Mulch maybe? (In additional to watering well just before you set off)

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 18:38 »
My late father used to place a bucket next to his cucumber plants in pots, he would fill the bucket with water and place an old sock into the water and draped over the cucumber compost, the water would wick over a few days and keep things ticking over nicely, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 18:48 »
The next door plot holder seems favourite as they will be there to water their own !
You can reciprocate off shift or spring for a couple of packs of their favourite brew!

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 20:16 »
I was away for the whole of August last year.  I made sure I'd prepared the beds with lots of compost and mulched with mushroom compost, seaweed and grass clippings.  I also watered by giving everything a really good watering but not very often, so the theory goes, the plants send roots down.

I also tried to plant stuff that wasn't going to need tender loving care in August or lots of watering.  Overall it worked quite well...

Also asked friends to go up and pick as that was more my worth that if stuff wasn't picked it would go to seed and stop producing.

Audy70

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:18 »
Just like ptarmigan, I was away for 4 weeks last summer, I was advised to mulch but didn't and came back to bumper harvests of everything including weeds :(. So, a good watering and mulch should keep everything going just fine :D.

xx
holiday watering

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 11:07
by sunshineband
xx
Holiday Watering

Started by Sideshoot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 13:37
by mobilekat
xx
Watering toms while on holiday

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 16:17
by Frog
xx
Automatic watering for my greenhosue while on holiday

Started by freebo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 13:09
by freebo

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 28 queries.