Slug treatment

• 28 Replies

MalcW

Slug treatment
« on: June 22, 2016, 15:48 »
Hi, does anyone know an effective treatment for slugs? We're inundated with them. The problem is, we also have a toad, slow worms and a cat, and I don't want to harm any of them. I've tried a box of what's basically grit but they don't seem bothered by that. I've already lost quite a few cabbages; it would be nice to be able to keep at least one. Thanks.

Audy70

Re: Slug treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 20:19 »
Hi, I use iron phosphate slug pellets, which claim to be harmless to wildlife and pets but it works great on the slugs. An added bonus is that iron phosphate is good for the plants too.

ferric phosphate (e.g. Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer, Bayer Garden Slug Killer, Bayer Organic Slug Bait, Vitax Slug Rid, Doff Super Slug Killer, Sluggo Slug & Snail Killer, SlugClear Ultra3). Ferric phosphate is approved for use by organic growers and is relatively non-toxic to vertebrate animals, from RHS website https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=228

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 20:21 »
Beer traps certainly help, if you don't want to use pellets.

JoshP

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 21:52 »
How about Nemaslug?

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:59 »
I use that great ive seen 3 slugs since i started using it,,,i paid for 3 treatments first one April,  july,  and August, and the firm just sends them when it time to use it in them months,,  When i use i just water every where slugs and snails, all  i can say it works for me, i had the same problem with the critters but not any more,,,,, :D
Colin

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 08:59 »
I use nemaslug in my raised beds. It helps but it doesn’t stop outsiders coming in and having a munch before being infected so place phosphate pellets as well.

I monitor by putting a half grapefruit skin upside down. The slugs will go underneath and can be disposed of in whatever way you find most satisfying   >:(

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40 »
I monitor by putting a half grapefruit skin upside down. The slugs will go underneath and can be disposed of in whatever way you find most satisfying   >:(

Much as I don't like killing things, I think for these blighters I could make an exception. And I can think of a variety of satisfying ways to do so.

Thanks to all for your advice.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:08 »
Put in plastic bag with a little bit of green stuff   :)  AND THEN FIRMLY TIE THE BAG UP AND PUT IN BIN  :D
How about you?

MalcW

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 12:19 »
I was thinking more along the lines of a weed flamethrower. Or battery acid. Or a really small guillotine.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 15:28 »
pointy stick, but porridge oats fill them up.

MalcW

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 15:41 »
They've had my cabbages, they're not getting my porridge as well!

I've been out at lunchtime and bought iron phosphate pellets, so they'll be going down this evening.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 15:43 »
I've used bran bought from a horse feed supplier. Surrounded lettuce with it and had no damage BUT no use when it gets soaking wet.

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 21:35 »
They've had my cabbages, they're not getting my porridge as well!

I've been out at lunchtime and bought iron phosphate pellets, so they'll be going down this evening.

Ferric phosphate pellets need a bit different management to the metaldhyde ones.

Put the pellets down as usual. Look the next day, if they are gone replace them. Repeat this every day until they stop disappearing. That will mean all the slugs are dead.

Unlike metaldehyde, where slugs die in a mass of slime, those that eat ferric phosphate crawl away and die so you do not see them.

Because ferric phosphate is only poisonous to slugs and snails it does not matter so much if you put the pellets in exposed places. Apparently it goes straight through other animals that eat it without harming them.

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 07:35 »
Has anyone tried copper wire to keep them out in the first place?

I was sure I was slug free until the recent rain then they all commuted in from neighbouring plots that are not so well kept (if at all). The woodchip paths seem to keep them away during the relatively dry weather with no sign of any attacks.

As I have all my beds surrounded by boards so it would be relatively easy to collect old cables and leads and strip them back to the copper wire and surround at least a couple of beds.

Just a thought and might do an experiment to see.

MalcW

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 10:05 »
Thanks Salmo, I didn't know that. I'll go and check later, and top up if necessary.

Enfield Gen, I've got a couple of raised planters which have escaped damage so far, but I intend to put copper wire or tape around the legs. I'm sure I read somewhere that you should put two strips round, an inch or so apart. Does that sound right?

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Is there a treatment?

Started by Kim50 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 08:53
by BabbyAnn
xx
Pea Moth Treatment

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

91 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 10:03
by sowitgrowit
xx
Downey Mildew treatment????

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 21:31
by composthappens

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.