Slug treatment

• 28 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Slug treatment
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 11:51 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that you should put two strips round, an inch or so apart. Does that sound right?

That is correct. There are some you tube videos showing slugs happily arching over copper bands and continuing on their way. Worth remembering that you can also trap slugs in the pot/bed if they were already there.

18Forts1999

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 13:23 »
I've used Copper brassica collars this year - thought it had done the job but yesterday noticed slime trails across the collars  :mad: hopefully the beasties have then gone to die elsewhere .Has anyone else tried these collars.  Also have bark chipping paths between the raised beds but found a snail inside the insect mesh cover two weeks ago! 

Grubbypaws

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 18:12 »
I was thinking more along the lines of a weed flamethrower. Or battery acid. Or a really small guillotine.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 09:42 »
beer traps for me works a wonder...cheap tesco value lager 4 for a quid....but  u get strange looks at the checkout counter when u lug 5 quids worth of cheap lager....i mumbled under my breath its for the slugs to a very coss looking woman... :nowink: :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 08:41 »
Our best so far is our grandson Josh, we looked after him on Friday and he has put a big hole in the snail/slug population in our back garden, if you havent got one i am sure you could borrow one :D, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 11:47 »
There is a product that discourages rats.  I have used it with great success. It is a white powder and smells strongly of garlic.  Garden centres should have it, sorry I cannot remember the name.  Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Fisherman

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 20:51 »
Have used phosphate slug pellets, nematodes, copper wires and various other slug traps all with limited success this year (too many of the little *). Best method is to position part filled damp plant pots all over the place then check underneath them in the early hours harmed with a good pair of scissors. Gets a bit boring after a few months but if needs must :D

chasingmytail

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 23:47 »
1st year for me and slugs have been a shock to the system.  Nemaslug is great but only works on the small slugs not the huge buggars.  Costly but worth the 2 weeks or so to get the plants to strengthen.  I have used yeast traps - ok but when the weather is bad there are a lot of slugs that are living just under the surface next to the plant.  Apparently copper rings are good as long as nothing is overhanging but you would need a lot of copper ribbon and would be expensive.  During June we spent many a night picking them off around 11pm not nice.  Hubby eats lots of grapefruits so may put these down next.

Organic approved pellets have been great however the cost and the replacement is high.  Buying tubs is not cost effective and need to buy a 20kg bag as popping to Wilko isnt working.

We have a lot of frogs etc however they couldnt possibly cope with the amount of creatures.

Last night was horrific for slugs absolute army of them my potato plants have been eaten excessively.

Real eye opener

al78

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2016, 09:33 »
If you have a raised bed you can wrap a couple of copper wires around the edge of the bed parallel to each other and each one conected to the terminal of a 9V battery. The wires should be about a couple of cm apart all the way around. Any slug trying to cross will get an electric shock and will retreat.

ZoBeKS64_xc

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28 »
Hi, I use iron phosphate slug pellets, which claim to be harmless to wildlife and pets but it works great on the slugs. An added bonus is that iron phosphate is good for the plants too.

ferric phosphate (e.g. Growing Success Advanced Slug Killer, Bayer Garden Slug Killer, Bayer Organic Slug Bait, Vitax Slug Rid, Doff Super Slug Killer, Sluggo Slug & Snail Killer, SlugClear Ultra3). Ferric phosphate is approved for use by organic growers and is relatively non-toxic to vertebrate animals, from RHS website https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=228

That's what I use too.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 10:49 »
If you have a raised bed you can wrap a couple of copper wires around the edge of the bed parallel to each other and each one conected to the terminal of a 9V battery. The wires should be about a couple of cm apart all the way around. Any slug trying to cross will get an electric shock and will retreat.

ZoBeKS64_xc
That works well as long as the wires and wood can be kept dry. I have now upgraded this system by using the electronics from one of those electric fly swats. As an added bonus. when it is nice and quiet at night. if you listen occasionally you will hear a very satisfying crack as one of the slimy little tow rags meets its demise :D :D :D
May the fork be with you

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 11:00 »

I prefer to use the white powder/crystals you dissolve in water and water onto the ground.  It gets them little beggers the keeled slugs that stay below ground and is safe to wildlife.

I used to use "Fertosan slug and snail powder" but I think... that product has got the chop. . .It is now "slug gone" or is it "Slug Off" !

Cheers,   Tony.

al78

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2016, 11:00 »
One method I used for keeping slugs away from seedlings hardening off in my greenhouse cloche:

A pair of bricks side by side, put a tray on top of the bricks. Put two more bricks in the tray then put seed trays on top of those bricks. Fill the tray with salt water, this acts as a moat barrier slugs will not be able to cross.

MalcW

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2016, 10:26 »
One method I used for keeping slugs away from seedlings hardening off in my greenhouse cloche:

A pair of bricks side by side, put a tray on top of the bricks. Put two more bricks in the tray then put seed trays on top of those bricks. Fill the tray with salt water, this acts as a moat barrier slugs will not be able to cross.

For a split second I thought you were going to say 'A pair of bricks side by side, slug in the middle and Bang!"

xx
Slug control for allotment - Slug gone or wool loft insulation?

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2013, 14:32
by composthappens
xx
Is there a treatment?

Started by Kim50 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 08:53
by BabbyAnn
xx
Pea Moth Treatment

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

91 Replies
Last post July 28, 2013, 10:03
by sowitgrowit
xx
Potato Blight treatment

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 18:14
by Growster...

Page created in 0.774 seconds with 31 queries.