Good, inexpensive supplier for seed potatoes?

• 14 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Good, inexpensive supplier for seed potatoes?
« on: September 23, 2014, 16:10 »
Firstly, apologies if this has been covered extensively, as often happens on the Forum, but I did put in a search for previous threads and came up with nothing, so here goes:  in the past I ordered my seed potatoes from Alan Roman, who I found to be a great supplier, relatively local (Scotland) with a large range of varieties to choose from.  As you know, AR was taken over by Thompson and Morgan, and I did order my potatoes from them last year.  No real problems with the quality but I'm struggling with T&M in general - they are expensive and charge the earth to deliver to me.  So, to get to the point, can anyone recommend a good (not too expensive) mail order supplier of seed potatoes?  Yes, I know it's early but it's good to be prepared ...... ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Good, inexpensive supplier for seed potatoes?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 16:30 »
I have bought from JBA for years too.  Key point, for me, is that they stop shipping when the weather is cold enough that the tubers might get frosted in-transit, or in-warehouse overnight en route.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 16:44 »
I wait for the offers which come out next month for free delivery and order then. Whichever company gets there first usually - last year was Marshalls I think and they were really good.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 18:12 »
In this case, I wait for the supplies at the two main local garden centres in the new year.
If there is an afvertised small or local supplier available for anything, I won't deal with any big "corporate" suppliers these days. Just don't like the cut of their jib ... the whole culture is a busted flush. There are two large national retailers I will use for gardenning, and that is Wilkinsons and Poundland, but certainly not for their dubious potatoes... that would be plain stupid  :D

One of the local private garden centres I use is superb for loose per kg supplies of potatoes, peas, broad beans  etc, and I can pick 'n mix any varieties I choose for a bargain price... a good 15 to 20 varieties of potatoes to experiment with.... proper shopping just like this country used to have. How the majority of these big companies trade and behave is quite beyond me now. T & M's prices are horrendous.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 18:19 by beesrus »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 18:18 »
How the majority of these big companies trade and behave is quite beyond me now.

Their customer base brain-washed by decades of advertising ... the companies themselves probably believe it by now! Heck - many of them may not even have invented nor carried the original advertising message !

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 19:09 »
In this case, I wait for the supplies at the two main local garden centres in the new year.
If there is an afvertised small or local supplier available for anything, I won't deal with any big "corporate" suppliers these days. Just don't like the cut of their jib ... the whole culture is a busted flush. There are two large national retailers I will use for gardenning, and that is Wilkinsons and Poundland, but certainly not for their dubious potatoes... that would be plain stupid  :D

One of the local private garden centres I use is superb for loose per kg supplies of potatoes, peas, broad beans  etc, and I can pick 'n mix any varieties I choose for a bargain price... a good 15 to 20 varieties of potatoes to experiment with.... proper shopping just like this country used to have. How the majority of these big companies trade and behave is quite beyond me now. T & M's prices are horrendous.

I always use a small local garden centre for potato tubers. They sell by weight, which means that you can choose exactly the number of tubers of whatever varieties you want, so no waste. It also gives the opportunity for growing three or four seed potatoes of several different varieties in an 'experimental' row,  in order to try spuds you haven't grown before.

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 19:13 by mumofstig »

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 19:33 »
Can you get to a Potato Day? - they always have lots at good prices. But if you want them early you might have to travel a bit, they can't be everywhere at the same time.

http://www.potato-days.net/

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 19:41 »
Can you get to a Potato Day? - they always have lots at good prices. But if you want them early you might have to travel a bit, they can't be everywhere at the same time.

http://www.potato-days.net/

Thanks for all your advice.  I have no local garden centre unfortunately - my nearest would be Glasgow - 130 miles away - so I tend to be at the mercy of mail order.  Please tell me more about Potato Days?  I've never heard of them, which probably means there is nothing like them round here, but they sound great!  In the meantime I'll check out JBA and maybe look out for special offers too ....  :D

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 20:44 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 19:45 »
If I recall correctly, the OP lives in quite a remote part of Scotland, hence the request for a suitable seller via post.

The suggestions of travelling to nurseries, or potato days, well meant as they are, are not what the poster asked for!

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 19:50 »
Apologies, will try to read more carefully next time  :hits head:

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 19:59 »
It's not a problem, it's something I think I remember from when Lesley first joined the forums. Her location jogged my memory.

ghost61

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 20:40 »
I have used JBA every year and i find their prices good.  About £4 for 2 kilos of seed potatoes.  You get about 40 potatoes.  I also order their onion sets, which are very good value and help to reduce the cost.  I have order 3 sorts of pots and 400 onion sets for a total of about £24 (and that includes the £5 delivery charge) to be delivered when I want them, as JBA give you the option to specify the week you want them.

Excellent quality and service from them, I would recommend you have a look as DD has suggested.  Very useful website, that gives good info about each variety.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 21:29 »
There are two large national retailers I will use for gardenning, and that is Wilkinsons and Poundland, but certainly not for their dubious potatoes... that would be plain stupid  :D

Not sure I understand the "dubious" (do you mean it or is it a joke that I'm not getting?)  - I never had any problems with their (Wilkos) seed potatoes, and you'll find they are from a certified source.  Variety choice is limited but then if you've never grown potatoes before, there's nothing wrong with starting off with something that is likely to do well.  I think you do need to buy them as soon as stock appears in the shop as there is a real risk of the chits growing into long shoots in the warmth.

I wait for the offers which come out next month for free delivery and order then. Whichever company gets there first usually - last year was Marshalls I think and they were really good.

I wait for offers too as the p&p can make it an expensive purchase - I've heard Marshalls are good but never used them yet.

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 16:17 »
I've used JBA too. Very helpful, reasonable prices and excellent quality. I've bought shallot sets off them too, which were very good value in comparison with other places and good quality.

Being able to choose delivery for a particular week is very helpful and the delivery charge doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Last year, their Charlotte potatoes were listed much later than some of their other varieties. Which is a bit of a problem, because it does pay to make your choice early with them as they seem to run out of popular varieties very quickly, which I presume reflects the number of customers they have rather than a limited supply.

I ended up corresponding with them last year by e-mail. You might find you can order by e-mail and ask for varieties that they say they don't have in stock on the off chance they'll come in later. If they can't fill your order, they get back to you very quickly and will even phone to discuss your requirements.

xx
Good online supplier of bird netting

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2019, 07:59
by AnneB
xx
Autumn bliss Raspberry - good supplier?

Started by mark.carline on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 30, 2009, 14:03
by greenhead
xx
Which online fruit tree / bush supplier is good ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 21:15
by Yorkie
xx
What seed supplier?????

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 28, 2010, 21:59
by Cheshire Phill

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 36 queries.