New Raspberry Canes

• 2 Replies

HaggisWhisperer

New Raspberry Canes
« on: April 15, 2009, 17:21 »
I planted some new raspberry canes earlier this year - some autumn fruiting ones (Polka) from a nursery and three "Tulameen" I got from In Store - the packet said it was also autumn fruiting but some other things I have read have made me question this.... (that would be my first question  :)

Anyway, I know I'm supposed to cut the autumn fruiting ones down to the ground in the winter, but am I supposed to do (or have done) anything to the new canes? Do they just stay as a stick in the ground the first year and so treat then as summer fruiting this year only? Three of the eight Polka canes have one new cane each emerging at the base. Three are still sticks in the ground with no sign of life and two have leaves on their sticks. All three of the Tulameen rasps have leaves on their sticks.

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: New Raspberry Canes
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 17:32 »
The Autumn fruiting ones should give a modest crop (on stems that grow this year).

The Summer fruiting ones should be cut down to a bud about 9" or 12" - and then that stem should be remove next year (before it fruits) - or during the winter I guess. So you won't get a crop from the Summer fruiting ones this year, but they should put their energy into producing lots of "suckers" that will fruit next year.

Thereafter cut down the stems that have borne fruit once fruiting has finished (for that variety).

gobs

Re: New Raspberry Canes
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 19:28 »
I thought Tulameen was a main season one, which the leaves on the sticks justify.

With the autumn one the little new shoots will fruit, might as well lose the sticks, cut about 1- 2 inches above ground, that's all fine.

Now with the 'not doing anything' sticks... who knows. Wait and see, as they are primocane might grow something anywhere to survive with, might just not make it, but I would wait with ruling them out.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
raspberry canes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2010, 20:57
by JohnB47
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2019, 09:08
by mumofstig
xx
Raspberry canes!

Started by Matthew Gayles on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 19:24
by mr Isaccs
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2023, 19:08
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 37 queries.