carrots in tubs

• 12 Replies

solway cropper

carrots in tubs
« on: August 25, 2018, 23:29 »
I gave up trying to grow carrots in my veg plot when I realised that all the stones meant I would never get an unforked one. So for the last 10 years I've grown them in an assortment of containers with a finely sieved potting mix. Today was time to pull some from one of the 10l flower buckets but they were so tightly packed I had to split the bucket to get them out. Result was just over 1.5 kg of lovely roots. The variety is James Scarlet Intermediate and here's some pics to prove it. I still have 8 assorted containers of carrots to see us through the winter. If anyone is fed up of wonky carrots then tubs is the way to go :D
carotub.jpg
carotub2.jpg
cartub3.jpg

Mr Dog

Re: carrots in tubs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 13:50 »
Completely agree. I use flower buckets and for smaller carrots and a variety of old baths and cold water tanks for maincrop types. I grow my parsnips in the bigger containers too.

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 16:46 »
I have started to sow in containers as of this year... will never go back, very pleased with the results.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 17:11 »
Are you all relying on your containers being high enough above the ground to avoid carrot fly, luck, or something else?  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 17:58 »
Are you all relying on your containers being high enough above the ground to avoid carrot fly, luck, or something else?  :unsure:

Learned a long time ago that carrot flies don't (or can't) read and therefore don't know that they aren't able fly more than a few feet above the ground. Fine netting is my choice of defensive weapon.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 18:54 »
One of the packets of carrots I  had suggested growing a sacrifice crop next to the fly resistant ones. Got an early crop of Paris Market before the fly struck and an excellent crop of the others. But yes netting is the way to go - I put my tubs on the raised hard standing down middle of plot but having tall hedges I suspect that the carrot fly just thermals in glider fashion without the net. 

lettice

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 08:53 »
They look a good cropping variety.
Have a neighbour who grows his carrots in long cylindrical containers, that are about 18 inch high. He grows Nantes and Autumn King.

I do not grow carrots to be large (as my neighbour swaps with me his larger varieties), but in 12 inch width by 9 inch height pots I grow mine as baby carrots.
I grow Amsterdam Forcing, Chanteray and Touchon and have done for over a decade. 
I sow over a few months from Feb to June and pick through the harvesting season, June to October and for Touchon, September to January.

I sow thinly, but do thin out seedlings and pop them in spare pots.
Do cover them with netting for their early growing stage, more to prevent animals digging up the bare soil than carrot fly (that Ive never seen here).
I like pots as I have them placed all around the plot.
I do occasionally get a few that from an unusual shape, but mostly are uniform.

Not heard of that variety. What is the flavour like? Might tempt my neighbour to try it.

carrots.jpg
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:56 by lettice »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 16:32 »
They look great - it's interesting to see what size containers are being used, and to see what can be achieved.  I've not tried that variety before.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

solway cropper

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 23:41 »
In previous years I've used enviromesh to keep off the dreaded fly but this year I've seen no trace of the little beasties so the tubs are just plonked on the soil. I'm hoping that the funny weather is something to do with the lack of carrot flies and that next year there will be fewer about.

Allan-25J

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 06:08 »
Cant wait till next year to try my carrots in containers

meriad

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:39 »
solway cropper - can I ask; do you think out your seedlings or just scatter quite thinly.  I've never tried carrots but those do look fab so am now very tempted to give them a go.

then re carrot fly - when do you net and I assume you have to net high so the green can grow underneath?

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2018, 20:19 »
I bought some pelleted carrot seeds from Seekay- with discount code from John. Easy to space out and 100% germination.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 21:36 »
Cant wait till next year to try my carrots in containers

Two questions.

Is it too late to sow this year  , and , are the flower buckets mentioned the ones that Morrisons sell their cut flowers in?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Carrots in Tubs

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2014, 09:36
by surbie100
xx
carrots in tubs

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 07:53
by Plottered
xx
Carrots in tubs

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 16, 2012, 23:17
by Growster...
xx
A question for those of you who grow carrots in tubs and buckets.......

Started by MJS on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 11:54
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 47 queries.