Sowing Celeriac

• 11 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Sowing Celeriac
« on: January 22, 2018, 16:20 »
It's a month earlier than recommended on the packet, but I've just sown some in the propagator. They were such slow growers last year that I don't think I'm taking too much risk. Any thoughts?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Sowing Celeriac
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 17:35 »
I'll sow mine in the next week or 2, so not really that early IMO. As you say they take a long while to get going.
I don't use a propagator for them though, just the warmth of the house works for me :)

Good luck with them!

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 17:59 »
I used to sow mine in February but now leave it till mid March. I've found little to no difference in the final crop from sowing later. My observations are that earlier ones germinate and then don't seem to grow a great deal until the days begin to lengthen and the weather starts warming.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12 »
Mr Dog is quite right there. Later-sown seeds do catch up and make stronger plants, plus growing indoors can make them leggy due to lack of direct light.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 14:08 »
I'll report back in 9 months from now

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 15:45 »
Just thinking about sowing mine any time now.  Had a goodish crop last year  :)
I start them in the house till they show then they go in a unheated but sheltered Greenhouse.  That seems to slow things down so the produce better roots (Well that's my theory anyway  ::)
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

pigeonpie

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 18:23 »
Sorry to hijack the post, but was just wondering how big the celeriac you've grown in the past have got to?

I love celeriac but when I've grown them in the past no matter how early the seeds were sown they still ended up more beetroot sized rather than the beauties I see in the supermarket.

Has anyone found a particular knack of sowing and growing to get bigger specimens?

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 19:26 »
Sorry to hijack the post, but was just wondering how big the celeriac you've grown in the past have got to?

I love celeriac but when I've grown them in the past no matter how early the seeds were sown they still ended up more beetroot sized rather than the beauties I see in the supermarket.

Has anyone found a particular knack of sowing and growing to get bigger specimens?

I'm going to be harvesting some later this week (possibly tomorrow) so will put a photo on. They're usually 6"+, usually around 8-9" (getting on for a foot occasionally). The biggest effect I found on the size of root was changing to growing Ilona (from DTB), an F1 variety which hasn't let me down yet.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 20:11 »
I grow Monarch and they get to about 8 - 9" across. To me the key is where I grow them. I have a bed on old pasture, quite a way away from the main garden. The soil is quite sticky, gets easily waterlogged with the run-off from the polytunnel next to it but grows beautiful large celeriac. The "better" more loamy bed in the main garden seems to only produce tennis-ball sized celeriac

pigeonpie

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 22:21 »
Makes my small tennis ball size celeriac seem rather pathetic!

I shall have to try them in some heavy peat, and might also try a different variety. It's been a few years since I've grown them so definitely up for the challenge!

Mr Dog

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 09:39 »
I grow Monarch and they get to about 8 - 9" across. To me the key is where I grow them. I have a bed on old pasture, quite a way away from the main garden. The soil is quite sticky, gets easily waterlogged with the run-off from the polytunnel next to it but grows beautiful large celeriac. The "better" more loamy bed in the main garden seems to only produce tennis-ball sized celeriac

Yes, water(ing) is very important for growing large roots. My soil is clay so never really dries out, although I do try and water them (and the celery) once a week. I bought some sprinkler hoses from the £ shop and used those last year for the celery/celeriac and beans. With those I could just plug the hose in and forget about it while I pottered doing other stuff rather than standing around holding the hose or carting the watering can back and forth. The bed where there are going to grow also gets a mulch of either manure or chicken pellets and spent compost the previous autumn/winter; I don't feed them during the growing season but do remove old leaves. I tried a few varieties before Ilona but could never get anything more than about 6" (most were around 4") although I haven't tried Monarch. I do have a packet of those that were sent free with some stuff I ordered a while back so may pop a few of those in and see how they get on.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 10:12 »
Just sown Celeriac Giant Prague it didn't do too bad last year.

xx
Celeriac - sowing time?

Started by Agatha on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 19:48
by upert
xx
sowing celeriac seeds.

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 20, 2012, 20:47
by Mrs Bee
xx
Sowing celeriac - cover seeds or not?

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 12:06
by BabbyAnn
xx
Is my celeriac OK?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 21:26
by HilaryG

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 48 queries.