• 11 Replies

m1ckz

april
« on: March 31, 2018, 10:15 »
april tomorrow an nothing planted yet   gona be a late year me thinks

jambop

Re: april
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 10:52 »
Same down here so you are not alone  :D  I am hoping that the weather will get better in April... it cannot be any worse than March.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 13:47 »
You can say that again..

Oh..I just have...

al78

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 17:58 »
Same down here so you are not alone  :D  I am hoping that the weather will get better in April... it cannot be any worse than March.

Don't bank on it!

There are some hints that more seasonal weather will arrive in the second week of April.

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 21:11 »
This awful Spring has focused the mind and I will now be adding a polytunnel to my plots by the end of the year. The 12 ft x 6ft greenhouse is earmarked for the usual tomatoes/cukes/peppers, early peas and baby carrot luxury crops, so little room for other early refugee crops to escape the bad start. I've come to the conclusion it isn't just about extending the season at either end as a "luxury", but also about preserving a normal season should the worst happen. Insurance I guess. A homemade one it will be, maybe 10ft by 20ft. Must get planning.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 21:15 by victoria park »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 23:56 »
This awful Spring has focused the mind and I will now be adding a polytunnel to my plots by the end of the year. The 12 ft x 6ft greenhouse is earmarked for the usual tomatoes/cukes/peppers, early peas and baby carrot luxury crops, so little room for other early refugee crops to escape the bad start. I've come to the conclusion it isn't just about extending the season at either end as a "luxury", but also about preserving a normal season should the worst happen. Insurance I guess. A homemade one it will be, maybe 10ft by 20ft. Must get planning.

My homemade polytunnel is the envy of the oldboys this year, sadly I've not got any crops in ground in there at the moment but I'm ahead with my brassica seedlings and what not.

ApprenticeGardener82

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 09:19 »
I am contemplating the same move myself Victoria it's a real game changer by the looks of it.

miggs

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 11:20 »
Glad (if you know what I mean) its just not me that's suffering with the weather. Everything will be late this year.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 13:38 »
at least three weeks behind at the moment.
 we will have to see what the next few weeks will bring

jambop

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 16:58 »
Thing is down here the weather is so predictable after April we will be say how we could be doing with a bit of rain  :D However this recent few weeks has been lamentable and the winter in general has been bad by our standards. The problem with my garden is that the soil is glacial and very silty not a problem when the moisture level is just right but a little each way and it changes either to a muddy soup or becomes quite hard and needs watering. I am not going to moan... I refuse to  :lol: when I see what I can grow in open ground it would be a dream for some so lets just say it is a hindrance  :lol:

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:28 »
Forecast is frost free for a week or so, I'm going go get some seed in the ground today, just a few of each to allow for failure. Otherwise it will be another week lost as I don't have chance to spend much time Mon_- Fri.

al78

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 19:50 »
Will the residents of NW Scotland please come and retrieve your climate which seems to have taken residence in Sussex. The relentless wet weekends are starting to become annoying now.

I've been on the community allotment trhis afternoon thankfully dry and mild, got the potatoes planted and some weeding done. The soil is still wet but just getting dry enough to start cultivating. Oh good, I think, I can put my maincrop potatoes in my plot tomorrow, as it was forecast to be light rain in the morning then dry all afternoon. I check the weather forecast earlier today and find that Horsham is now forecast to get 18 hours of continuous rainfall all through the day  ::). That will make the soil saturated and unworkable again, and take ages to dry out if it just keeps raining like this. Stay off the plot if the soil is wet? I'll have to wait until July before cuiltivating at this rate.  :mad:

xx
april progress

Started by R66VEY on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:29
by jimroden
xx
I've got my allotment free until April

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 19:53
by crowndale
xx
Leeks for April and May (next year)

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 09:23
by Snoop
xx
Summer fun on the plot - in April!

Started by Lottie Mary on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 23, 2011, 18:32
by arugula

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 46 queries.