What are you all eating?

• 27 Replies

Ali

What are you all eating?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 22:03 »
Millions of potatoes (Suttons Foremost) for the last 6 weeks, broad beans (autumn planted so finished now), carrots (round ones - Parmex), perpetual spinach, salad leaves, radishes, courgettes, and lots of huge (and not so huge) onions, planted in autumn, garlic, spring onions, strawberries. Tomatoes are just ripening. Not bad for the first year!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are you all eating?
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2006, 22:24 »
What do you stuff your courgettes with fafafifi?  The Moroccan beans sound nice, might try them before the borad beans finish.  We've had quite a few B Beans, but the lower flowers didn't fruit, and neither did most of the top ones, but the ones in the middle were lovely.

Should be having our first runners tomorrow, so far have had broad beans, loads of courgettes, loas of salad leaves of different types, loads of spring onions, loads of peas, OH had first tomato last night, about 6 cucumbers so far.  Lots of lovely potatoes, Swiss Chard and cabbages.

Beetroot will soon be ready, as will shallots, but they were a bit disappointing, as I saved some from last year's yield, and some of them have 10 shallots on, but quite a few have only one or 2 which think they are onions!!!

Sweetcorn are starting to get their flower spikes, but the corn is only 2 to 3 foot high at the moment, so a bit puzzled there.

Cucumbers are weird.  The Country Fair are growing very fat and still have little spines that stick in you and didn't have any male flowers that I noticed, but my seed catalogue said they will have males, but to leave them on.  The longer and thinner Burpless tasy green were supposed to be all female flowers, but I've had loads of male flowers on them.  Nice flavour though!

My largest melon is golf ball sized at the moment, and lots of little ones coming, fingers crossed for them as its my first melon!!!

Loads of tomatoes coming, but only 1 red one so far.  My book says that with the larger varieties of tomas like Big Boy, to only have 3 fruits per truss and only 3 trusses, but it seems a shame to take off the other fruits, so I think I will try a couple of plants with the 3 trusses and fruits, but let the others do their own thing and see what happens.  If it all goes pear shaped, there's always next year eh???

Oh and then there's the herbs.  Herbs seem to like me, as they alwys do well, then I end up ruingin some of them as they go wild because I don't eat enough of them.

Oliver

Call it what you like
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2006, 22:27 »
Quote from: "Heather_S"
Seakale
This is what she bought from Suttons (Silver or Sea Kale)
 :roll:
Go to this site and search for sea kale and you will see a picture.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Jake

• Rockers
What are you all eating?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 22:44 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
We've had quite a few B Beans, but the lower flowers didn't fruit, and neither did most of the top ones, but the ones in the middle were lovely.

Mine are the same as that.

Loads of tomatoes coming, but only 1 red one so far.

I've got 2 :( I'm beginning to think that these heritage red cherry and beefsteak seeds came from a time when there was a 10 month growing season :roll: They're the size of peas.....still!
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
What are you all eating?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 22:58 »
So far we have had all the mange tout and the peas, tons of courgettes - too many for us so everyone I know is getting some!
little gem lettuce, iceberg lettuce and lola rosca lettuce, all the broad beans have been harvested and we have eaten them in bean salad which was extremely nice. We have had the first two cucumbers and a few tumbler tomatoes. Spring onions now and again, french beans just started to harvest and runner beans coming along - just picked some this evening.
Just finished harvesting all the raspberries, red currents and black currents. Still have blueberries and blackberries to go later on. Cut the first cauliflower yesterday - lots more coming!! :shock:
Dug up the garlic and shallots - they are all drying in the garage at home. Onions look like they are ready to dig up but I havent had enough time.

Each time I go to the allotment I come home with a bag of something or other its really exciting
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
What are you all eating?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 23:09 »
I've got 2 :( I'm beginning to think that these heritage red cherry and beefsteak seeds came from a time when there was a 10 month growing season :roll: They're the size of peas.....still!

Some of mine are really large, and one of my Tigerella has 17 tomatoes on its bottom truss, but the next truss up only has 5 so its making up for the over heavy one!!! lol

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
What are you all eating?
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 04:45 »
My munching to date:

Radish French Breakfast. Finished for the time being.
Spring onion White Lisbon.
Courgette All green bush. I have courgette fritters every night but they are still gaining on me.
Runner bean Red flame. A good meal every other day.
Peas Alderman. Yum every day.
Raspberry Unknown thornless variety. Just about finished now but nice while they lasted.
Vine leaves. Too good to compost.
Beetroot Detroit globe. I only planted a short test row for pickle but I had forgotten just how good they are as a vegetable.
Shallot Lifted today for drying

Potatoes These have a habit of materialising in the back of my van at regular intervals. Either folks feel sorry for the man with no potatoes on his plot, or someone is making up for the manure they borrowed.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Re: Call it what you like
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 08:39 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Seakale
This is what she bought from Suttons (Silver or Sea Kale)
 :roll:
Go to this site and search for sea kale and you will see a picture.

Silverbeet is correct... sea kale is a different kettle of fish. It's not the first time a company has mislabeled a plant. Apparently the sea beet can be known as seakale beet but it's not to be confused with sea kale, see wikipedia article for sea kale: Sea Kale "Seakale should not be confused with seakale beet."
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Fafafifi

What are you all eating?
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 09:01 »
Grannieannie - In the end seeing as I didn't have all the ingrediants needed to follow just one recipe I just used whatever was in the fridge!

So they were stuffed with shallots, mushrooms, the scooped out courgette, pine nuts, chopped olives, red pepper, bit of cheddar and topped with parmesan. Oh and flavoured with a garlic clove and a pinch of smoked paprika.  A bit ecclectic but tasted fine!

Oliver

Re: Seakale beet
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 10:19 »
Quote from: "Oliver"
Seakale
It's not the first time a company has mislabeled a plant.
Aye - Suttons will not be very happy with her, this will be the second time she has pointed something like this out to them! Wikipedia has a lot to answer for!!
Thanks Heather I'll tell her to take on the big boys.

earthgirl

What are you all eating?
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2006, 22:19 »
This is our first year gardening, and we got a late start, but so far we've had broccoletto, raab, kailaan, spinach, young beet greens (can you tell we like greens :lol:), lettuce, rocket, turnip, radish, strawberries.

Just ready this week will be courgette, mange tout, white currants, tuscan kale.

Still have to wait a bit for blueberries, gooseberries, cranberries, tomatoes, perpetual spinach, green beans, wax beans, horto beans, cucumber, shelling peas, carrots (two kinds), onion (three kinds), leeks, kohlrabi, beetroot, scallop squash and second plantings of greens.

Gardening is FUN  :D

oggy

What are you all eating?
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2006, 18:24 »
Hi all,

FANTASTIC............... Duke of York,Lettuce ?, Bunnyards Ex, Raddish ?, garlic ,cabbage. Onions  (both )  courgettes, peas, runners, Stawberrys, raspberry, gooseberry, 6 1/2 pounds off one plant ( making wine ) brocolly ? spinnage, cucumber,
turnip, beetroot, just had some Toms (cherry ? ).  I am in a Toy ( VEG shop ) as this is my first season.

Mrs oggy has frozen B Beans and courgettes,  ( Freezer is getting full  )Also has pickled beetroot red cabbage, shallots and some onions. for the winter months.

Recomended by fellow plottieer. Frying pan , butter, garlic, B Beans ,chopped bacon, cougettes, cook to taste ,FANTASTIC.

BUT  ? WHAT TO GROW NEXT !!

Will look forwardto any plans , advice , idea's that are out there.

I am trying to follow the traditional 3 yr rotation.

P.S . Aubergines are late for my home made Rattatooi, any idea's

oggy

Kim

What are you all eating?
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2006, 22:46 »
Hello all

Well here in my backgarden plot i am having a bumper harvest eaten nearly all my fist earlys lovely they were too , big crop of garlic ,onions red and white drying in garage , stawberrys eaten did not even make it into the house , toms all now begining to ripen , peppers decent size , eaten first lot of runner beans , cucumbers coming out of our ears , parsnips waiting for winter roast dinners  :D the only diappointment this year is the carrots something else got to them first . Not bad though for a garden plot !!!! oh yes the courgettes are threatening to take over the neighbourhood  8)

xx
Help!! Something is eating everything!

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 22:02
by cranberry
clip
What is eating everything??

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 10, 2019, 18:15
by snow white
xx
what's eating this chili?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 11:41
by Annie
xx
What could be eating my brassicas?

Started by plot103 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2012, 08:59
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 33 queries.