what's eating this chili?
« on: September 29, 2007, 22:45 »
hi,

one of my chilis has misshapen leaves - photo is here

any ideas what might be causing it?

leeky

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 23:31 »
I really dont know so dont take this as an answer.. But could it be getting dry then recieving too much water repeatedly?

mushroom

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 23:38 »
Quote from: "leeky"
I really dont know so dont take this as an answer.. But could it be getting dry then recieving too much water repeatedly?

thanks for looking - well, the reason I think it is a virus or insect is that one large pot away there are another 2 chilis at the same stage and they're unaffected. I think maybe some white flies got it because I've got that on a few plants but only on this one chili. The other 2 get the same amount of water at the same interval - you can see the other 2 here

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 23:51 »
its as leeky says . its the old . watering plants syndrome .. try reciting a ditty when watering each pot . i have had that same thing lolo :lol:
still alive /............

mushroom

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 00:02 »
really??? i'd have never have thought it. it looks so much like something has snarfled it. OK i'll try that then... thanks people  :)

gobs

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 09:37 »
Even if I get wassucked, as you say you are watering them the same and you seem quite a meticulous person, I'm inclined to think something else is the problem. As only some leaves are affected, next to each other(no new or old growth) would suggest some physiological damage, that happened at some stage, like the watering probs or wind, sun, cold, fluctuation in temp, herbicide, etc.
But then just about anything can and will cause misshapen foliage, I would keep it separate from rest, just to be on the safe side and try The Chile Pepper Institute's web page for future ref.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:53 »
Misshapen foliage is often a sign of attack by sap sucking insects when the leaf is young, many insects such as aphid and whitefly can and do carry viruses etc.
I've had exactly the same problem before and usually find the next set of leaves are ok.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mushroom

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 09:59 »
cheers for that, gobs - i'm on their site now  :)

Annie

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 11:41 »
I have lots of chillies andpepers that had this problem earlir and even had some wierd peppers too and i had an aphid problem,have a good look at the under side of all leaves and in the middle of the growing tip.I went through the plants daily and squished by hand and sprayed with soapy water so although I got this distortion it didn`t affect productivity.

xx
3 questions: chili, chili and peat pots

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 17:50
by mushroom
xx
Name that chili?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 11:22
by Debz
xx
one red chili

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2008, 21:27
by agapanthus
xx
chili problem

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 07, 2007, 10:29
by muntjac

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 36 queries.