Hello from an enthusiastic newbie!

• 24 Replies

Puff

« on: December 22, 2006, 21:49 »
Hello folks!

I've spent a couple of days reading the posts here and I must say this looks to be about the best allotment forum I've come across.

My chap and I have at last (3 days ago) taken up an allotment in our village, we have waited two years for this. Best early Christmas present we've had for years!  Excitement isn't the right word for it.  The plot has been looked after well, it's totally clear of weeds and has been divided up into beds with grass paths.  The previous owner left about 25 strawberry plants in their own separate bed.  The plot is made up of 3 - 10ft x 17ft beds,  2 - 11ft x 6ft beds and 1 6ft x 12ft bed (strawberries). There's even a little fruit tree planted to the side near the hedge.

When we went to look at the allotments initially, this was the plot we hoped to get.  It's in the corner of the site and has a bramble hedge on one side for shelter.  Sadly sheds aren't allowed, but it's only a 10 minute walk from our home.  The soil looks to be heavy, but has obviously been well tended as even 3 days ago a handful just crumbled in that lovely friable way it's supposed to.

This is a gift from heaven for us, so in the spirit of newbie-ism I have some questions.  Is the end of December too late to be adding rotted manure? - it's a bit too wet to dig in right now.   Is this the right time to be planting a crown of rhubarb?  I'm having trouble tracking any down - any leads?  We've got seeds (early Christmas presents), a soil tester and a compost bin, a variety of old tools - what else should we be doing in this dark month?

Happy Yule to you all :D

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 21:57 »
throw the manure on 2 3rds of the plot , look at the soil in about 5 different areas .look for compostion in the soil the fibre the sand ,how squeezable is it before it falls apart .,the area that is the least friable i would put the manure on ....check with your nieghbur and see who had it before you and if they did things together and what was planted where etc . we are a friendly lot ,,, usually ,,,,, show willing and interest and you will be fine . dont plant a crown now i would look to get one in feb /march  ask your fellow plotters if they have any spare in teh meantime  some grow a big bed of it and may offer you a cut from one . dont be worrying now about planting .id concentrate on getting all your supplies in seeds etc ,walk around the plots and see what else everybody grows and take tips from where they plant it etc .above all ask questions . if you have runners on the strawberies cut them off and stick them in a place where you can let them come on or better stil pot them up and offer them out to folks who help you , finally .... enjhoy the plot and welcome to the gang
still alive /............

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 21:58 »
You lucky b******s :lol: .  I'm a newbie too and my plot is a bit of a wilderness.  Congratulations and welcome to the forum.  Loads of people that are very knowledgable and really friendly too.
Denise
Cheese makes everything better.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 22:00 »
do you want cash or wil a cheque do denise  :wink:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 22:01 »
welcome!

now, im now expert, but if the manure is rotted well it should be fine. Im digging a new bed for next years spuds, and putting all the leaves in the lower layer (double digging)

Wyevale garden centers have rhubarb. Iv enot got it from their cos i already have some (needs digging up and splitting) but i got some fruit bushes instead.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006, 22:02 »
Cash please :wink:

Puff

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 22:05 »
Thanks munjac and zak

That's a great idea about the strawberry runners - arm myself with something to barter with there.  So far I've been up there everyday for a mooch around and not seen a soul.  I'll need to visit at different times I reckon. The plots look pretty well tended - kale and brussels abound.  Looks like a better place to be spending Christmas than infront of the telly.

muntjac

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2006, 22:11 »
8am and 11 30am .lol time i usally prop my fork up .

jessegee

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 22:12 »
Glad to hear from another newbie, your plot sounds lovely congrats  :D

I'm dying to plant something too, and will try some fruit bushes now

jessegee
How is a Carrot like a Magnolia bush?

It isn't, that's why I joined this forum......

Puff

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 22:17 »
I've just armed myself with some crayons and sheets of paper, time to do some bed plans - if I can just grow one thing that looks as good as it does on the front of these seed packets i'll be ecstatic - yay!

(actually, if I can just grow one thing I'll be over the moon!) :D

muntjac

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 22:20 »
oh well puff theres ur first gardening disaster ,, they dont ,never will and sure as dinkum never would have . lolo " gardening is a challenge of doing ones best with what one has " .. fuchias 2003

Puff

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 22:28 »
....haha! hence me adding the bit in brackets.  On closer inspection there's a bit of photoshopping been going on, on the front of some of these packets.

It's those yards of virgin soil, it's affecting my judgement - reality will bite when I get digging!

shaun

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006, 08:52 »
hello puff and wecome (your are a lady i guess)
thats why they dont write on the packets
"it grows exactly like it shows on the packet"
they are usually half the size,not quite the same shape,a different colour,and taste totally different than tesco  :D
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 11:19 »
Good to have you onboard, Puff.

Growing veggies is  so rewarding - that first crop - even a radish is wonderful.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006, 12:42 »
The pics on the packet looks like they bought the veg from Waitrose - mad mutant veg looks like you grew it youself  :lol:

Much more impressive - especially when you taste it!

Welcome to the forum, btw!

xx
Enthusiastic Beginners!!

Started by Nigeyboy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2006, 16:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
earthing up my enthusiastic potatoes

Started by mollyblob on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 19:09
by mollyblob
xx

Started by Pure Novice but tryin! on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 21:53
by Pure Novice but tryin!
xx

Started by tim25 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 26, 2012, 12:17
by anthony74

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 34 queries.