• 12 Replies

tim25

« on: May 14, 2012, 20:38 »
Hi all i have just today been given an allotment by my town council after waiting for 3 years.
Im eger to get going but as im new i need some advice on what to grow when and various other things but first things first i gotta get my plot straightend out as its quite a state. My main problem is how to get rid of the grass and keep it away and how to get rid of thorn bushes and their roots. All advice on any thing to do with allotment holding will be greatly appreciated cheers all tim

mattwragg94

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 20:40 »
hi tim and welcome to the site :D and all the best of look with your plot.

fatbelly

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 20:44 »
Hi Tim a new allotment is an exciting time.

Look on the this board there is loads of very good advice.

If you were to  pop your approximate location in your profile it would help with any questions because the answer for someone living in Plymouth would be different to that given to someone in the Scottish Highlands.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Griffete

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 20:46 »
Hi and welcome  8)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 20:48 »
welcome and enjoy

best advise I was given is grow what you like to eat. mind you all home grown stuff tastes better you might find you like things you didn't before.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

tim25

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 21:18 »
Hi all im in keighley west yorkshire my plot is on the arncliffe road site if any body knows it. Im mainly  looking to grow things me and my family eat the most to save money at the supermarket check out but im open to try new things i want to learn how to grow with the seasons really. My main problem at the mo is the damm grass lol

parttimer

• Experienced Member
  • Mousetrap!!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 22:43 »
Regarding the grass and brambles you have 2 choices, weed killer or a good old fashioned fork and elbow grease. I would suggest that you do not try to tackle the whole plot in one go but to divide it up into managable chunks.

Beware allotmenteering is addictive.  ;) :D   
Yer Tiz!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 23:49 »
Welcome to the site and congrats on getting your allotment plot.  There is a third option which is to invest in a huge roll of weed suppressant, strim the whole lot and put the weed suppressant over the areas you want as paths, using lasagne bed method to get your beds started. 

Cover the bed areas that you aren't ready to cultivate yet, so the weeds are weakened in the process. 

I used this method successfully to get my plot started.  See details on the early posts on my gardening diary.
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

leeks r us

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 23:50 »
hi tim and welcome to the site there is a thread somewhere on this site on how to clear your plot one of the mods will come in with a link for you im sure. :) :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 19:35 »
Welcome to the site Tim  :D

If you could edit your forum profile to show your general location that will help in future, as often answers to questions can be location-specific.

As for how to get going, the main website has some useful articles under Allotment Advice (middle column, scroll down a little bit).  :)

When you dig the grass up, does it have long white piano-wire-like roots?  If so, it's couch grass and will probably grow back if put in the compost heap.  If it's fibrous roots, lift and stack upside down - it will rot down to lovely soil.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Togalosh

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16 »
Welcome & congratulations - 3 years is a long time to wait.

I'd say make a plan of what will go where eventually then weed killer the last bits (even as green as I'd want to be I'd recomend it) and fork the first bits where you'll plant soonest.. put up a comfy bench/hammock & plant as you go & don't mind the weeds too much at first.

Get something in as quick as possible to as all digging & no growing might be a bit thankless...but you might be surprised how quick you clear the plot.

Good luck & enjoy.

tim25

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 21:31 »
hi thanks for all your advice im going to get cracking tomorrow will let you know how things are and what the grounds like under all the grass

anthony74

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 12:17 »
hi thanks for all your advice im going to get cracking tomorrow will let you know how things are and what the grounds like under all the grass

Not sure if you are still active Tim, but I'm on the Arncliffe Road site in Keighley, been on list 2 years and just got a plot.   Be good to know how you got on so far if you are still there?

xx
Newbie's First Job?

Started by Only1Dionne on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 23:15
by Only1Dionne
xx
Hi from a newbie

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post December 17, 2006, 14:08
by Ice
xx

Started by johnnyt93 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 00:50
by Teabag
xx
Yet another newbie!

Started by Angelah on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 10, 2006, 23:25
by John

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 37 queries.