buying compost

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

buying compost
« on: October 27, 2017, 19:52 »
i was reading an article in which gardening that suggests compost prices could rise next year to quite hype in price its blamed on several reasons from a poor harvesting season to labour costs rising

it doesn't look good for the home gardener like myself that buys quite a few bags over the summer season and will that drive up the price of plug plants and potted plants in general anything that uses peat based

there is unfortunately for me no real alternative to peat based compost's I've never had any good results from using  peat free compost yet

i suppose it going to be suck it see if there is a general increase in compost prices  :unsure:

engineer

• Experienced Member
Re: buying compost
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 21:08 »
Market forces Rowland, but if you look on the bright side the majority of growers use none peat products, so I would hope they would keep their price rises to a minimum. Could you not buy your peat based products now before any shortage? As you say though, suck it and see.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:47 by engineer »

DaveF68

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 13:15 »
Might be a bit late, but if you gave room to store it, September/October is sometimes a great time to buy next year's compost, as lots of supermarkets and general retailers are clearing it to save room.

I have several bags that I got at less than half price wintering in my shed!

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 19:01 »
 i take your point Dave F  yes that thought had crossed my mind the only downside is storage although we have got the space I don't want to encourage any vermin but you point does make sense also which gardening were trying to get all compost's manufacturer's to date stamp the bags don't know how that's going

as for non peat based compost as I said we have used it in the past but we don't seem to get results from using non peat based  as much as peat based we have been buying clover compost that was both good on quality and price

if there was a non peat based compost that would give us decent results I wouldn't hesitate to buy

xx
buying compost

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2007, 19:39
by new_2_veg
xx
buying compost

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:25
by wighty
xx
buying compost online

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 05, 2012, 18:31
by sunshineband
xx
buying compost on line

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2023, 09:37
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 33 queries.