Where to start, just got new allotment

• 12 Replies

Lostbrain

Where to start, just got new allotment
« on: April 08, 2013, 11:25 »
Just took tenancy of a plot, wondering where to start. It's generally weed free and looks like strawberries and corn was grow on it not too long ago. The book I have says that digging should happen in autumn or winter, I have access to manure, but am I too late? What should I start to do now?

Springlands

Re: Where to start, just got new allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 12:00 »
Hi and welcome. It is not too late to start digging - I am sure that lots of us still have to dig over part of our plots or gardens. As long as the manure is well rotted you can dig it in as you go along - if it was the autumn you could just spread it on top of the ground and let the worms and weather do the work for you. Before you start digging though make sure that your soil is not too wet as you can do more harm than good trying to dig a wet soil.

The next thing is to decide what you want to plant - think about what you and your family like to eat - remember not to pay too much attention to what your book says - it is only a guide especially when it comes to planting dates - the bad spring this year has put many of us behind schedule.

I have attached a link to DD's guide for new gardeners which you might find useful. There is also lots more available on the main site.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=49569.msg586251#msg586251

Lostbrain

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 14:47 »
Thank you

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 15:19 »
Lostbrain - I forgot to say - it would help if you added your general location to your profile - someone in the far south will have much different weather/growing conditions to someone further north. Love your net name by the way - could describe me on far to many occasions.  :D

Lostbrain

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 17:16 »
I'm in Hampshire, feels like may as well been Siberia lately. Lost brain describes my state post childbirth,I'm sure I used to know stuff, keep hoping it'll return, but no sign yet!

LJB12

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 18:50 »
Hiya! I'm in Berkshire and we got our plot in October so this is our first growing season. Would be great to be lotty buddies figuring input out together! Also share your post childbirth  brain though mine is 4 years old now!

Lostbrain

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2013, 19:21 »
My eldest is 5, still a shadow of my former self.
Planning on ordering seeds tonight, with the hope of getting some of the plot sorted this week and getting seeds in the ground next. Thinking beans, courgettes, maybe pots and onions. Not sure about cabbages, want some soft fruit.. There are some strawberry plants at one end of the plot so going to leave them and see what happens. I really want a cherry tree, but think that will wait a while. And sweetcorn, want that too..  :ohmy: :blush:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 13:07 »
I've just got a plot this week! so excited.... been veggy-ing the back garden to date, but the family have noticed the lawn keeps getting smaller.....  Am planning on using the lottie to get away from my babies (18/16/14yrs).  It does get easier; you can leave them at home  :D
I want a shed of my very own.

LJB12

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 18:47 »
Ooh another newbie! Where abouts are you? If you've been veg-ing your garden you will kow a bit more what you're doing! Do share!
We have a shed but have yet to erect it!

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 20:48 »
hi there, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new allotment.

the advice I always give is 2 points...

dont go mad and try to do everything at once..it cant be done overnight...and

enjoy it..its a hobby, not a chore!

by the way my baby boy is 24 this year...dont help no more :blush:

parsley

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 05:47 »
I'm in Hampshire, feels like may as well been Siberia lately. Lost brain describes my state post childbirth,I'm sure I used to know stuff, keep hoping it'll return, but no sign yet!

I used to consider myself to be a normal intelligent person...but my son is 1 now. If I remember to take the baby with me I class it as a good day  :) . I've only had my allotment a little while and am just working on one section at a time. As a whole they can look a bit overwhelming so I'm just taking it easy  :D
Motherhood - when being spontaneous takes 2 and a half days of careful planning

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 06:55 »
Everything you manage to get done in a visit however short is a victory  ;)

One of our plot holders dashes over for 10 - 20 minutes of a lunch time as he works nearby and his is one of the best plots on the site, on the weekend he comes in for a while then he is off fishing
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 06:10 by cadalot »

woollywoozle

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 17:09 »
HI everyone, I also have a new allotment (since Friday) and have been reading info up over the last week - this seems to be one of the best sites available, easy to use and very accessible, and have gleaned some valuable info already - although not sure if there are many members from the North East England?
I am fluctuating between my sensible head and doing a bit at a time and going mental , but am very much aware of a wee bit at a time. I am sharing with a  friend but not sure how that will work, but determined to go it alone if have to as I have waited 4 years on the waiting list!!  It's very exciting but again, it is a long term plan and something to build up - bit concerned as I have only ever grown lettuce in a trough, and hate slugs and worms  :wacko:.
Got a bit of clearing to do (need some basic tools first!), but plan to plant end of May - lots of veg for Winter (fingers crossed!). Also I do not have a lot of spare time due to work commitments, so it is very much a hobby, and one that I really plan to enjoy...every day's a learning day!!!
x

xx
Ok, where do I start on my 1st allotment? Help please!!

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 12:37
by Stratts
xx
New allotment - where to start?

Started by double-happiness on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 22:53
by Trikidiki
xx
Where to start on my new allotment...

Started by Akumos on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 12:02
by chrisb1357
xx
Where to start! New Allotment!

Started by Steerpike on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 21, 2006, 14:00
by adekun

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 34 queries.