Early red tomato...

• 23 Replies

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
Re: Early red tomato...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 20:20 »
Last I started my tomatoes in January, when growing nicely, placed them in the conservatory to grow on while waiting for the weather to warm up. Then they were gone. I forgot the chickens would eat them and the did. Started again and kept the chickens off. So end up with late tomatoes.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 23:17 »
Victoria - that's very interesting.

I really don't have a clue about how the seeds will germinate, but there's plenty of room for them to develop, or just flop about and do nothing!

I'd just like to imagine that somehow, I've found some plants which have beaten the blight, and can give away a few seeds to anyone - if they work! If not, well, stone the crows, we're all back where we started!

'Still plenty of time...

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 12:48 »
I've grown Latah outdoors and they've been the first to ripen. I think Red Alert were similarly quick, again outdoors. I'm guessing that if you grew Latah in a greenhouse, they'd be even earlier.

Growster...

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 18:28 »
I've grown Latah outdoors and they've been the first to ripen. I think Red Alert were similarly quick, again outdoors. I'm guessing that if you grew Latah in a greenhouse, they'd be even earlier.

Thank you, WR!

I could have got some Floridity online, but as usual, have now bought far too many alternatives...

Red Alert was on the shelves as well, but Mrs Growster quietly grabbed my arm and led me away screaming and yelling at the top of my voice..:0(

Headgardener22

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 17:14 »
I don't know if you decided what to grow but in my experience, the earliest I get are blooming Butcher (if it will let me say that) followed by Quedlinger Fruhe Liebe and Stupice. They are all potato leafed and variably sized red tomatoes (and I've wondered for a few years if they're actually the same).

Over the last 5 years or so, they have always ripened 1 - 2 weeks before anything else but this still doesn't get them into June.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 17:53 »
I don't know if you decided what to grow but in my experience, the earliest I get are blooming Butcher (if it will let me say that) followed by Quedlinger Fruhe Liebe and Stupice. They are all potato leafed and variably sized red tomatoes (and I've wondered for a few years if they're actually the same).

Over the last 5 years or so, they have always ripened 1 - 2 weeks before anything else but this still doesn't get them into June.

June would be a magic month, HG!

These are unknown to me, but then, I'm only a humble Growster!

The type you describe as 'potato leaf' rings a bell with the two specific plants I salvaged from last year. Watch this space!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 17:59 »

Red Alert was on the shelves as well, but Mrs Growster quietly grabbed my arm and led me away screaming and yelling at the top of my voice..:0(

For about 10 years Red Alert have always been the first to deliver ripe fruit, even though I always grow them in an open cold frame so they are always planted out later than those in the GH.

They are also incredibly prolific, but you might be relieved to hear that IMHO although they're OK, they're not the tastiest tom I've ever grown.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Gellideg

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 18:11 »
Stupice crop earlier,by 3 weeks,than Ailsa Craig and Alicante for me.Sown around 1st March and cropped last year the 1st week in July.They are not cherries and Cordon plants.Nice taste and not chased on with heat in our gr/house.I can recommend them and will grow them in 2017.  John.

Headgardener22

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 13:05 »

It didn't let me say what I meant (always have this problem) its Blo ody Butcher

xx
Early Tomato Experiment

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 09, 2022, 22:05
by Plot 6B
xx
Too early for Tomato flowers?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 29, 2016, 14:13
by Robster
xx
Early tomato Experiment 2018

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

78 Replies
Last post June 19, 2018, 16:22
by mumofstig
xx
The early tomato experiment 2013

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 11, 2013, 22:00
by Totty

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 39 queries.