Broad beans sowed indoors recently and now leggy

• 17 Replies

victoria park

Re: Broad beans sowed indoors recently and now leggy
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 20:36 »
Here are this year's aquadulce claudia today. Looking strong and resplendent.
Sown direct 28 October, showing first germination 13 November.
The only two things that could spoil Autumn direct sowings are sowing too early, or not netting for 6 weeks to keep the mice away. Apart from that, trouble free gardening.
IMG_20170219_100713778.jpg
IMG_20170219_100713778.jpg

al78

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 12:20 »
Here are this year's aquadulce claudia today. Looking strong and resplendent.
Sown direct 28 October, showing first germination 13 November.
The only two things that could spoil Autumn direct sowings are sowing too early, or not netting for 6 weeks to keep the mice away. Apart from that, trouble free gardening.

I would guess that with autumn sowing, it may be a good idea to erect a wind break as winter gales could slam them into the ground.

victoria park

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 17:30 »
You're right about the wind factor Al, hence my job this morning was to give them their one and only weeding and bash in some posts and string to catch the tops of the larger plants.  See piccie below. Our site is a mile from the coast and exposed to big Souwesterly gales.

They're all pretty close and support each other, as I do with sweet corn, so this does the trick. There'll be a second higher string in 3 weeks and a couple of extra posts. The time of Autumn sowing is critical. One year I made the mistake of sowing the first week in October, and the things were nearly 700mm tall come February. I lost a few in a storm, but the worst of it was the stress that seemed to introduce chocolate spot and rust. Still got a good crop, but it was hard work.
End October/first week November perfect time for sowing. The harvest almost always starts Whitsun week and lasts until the end of June. The absolute earliest I've ever spotted the ants was  last week in April, and blackfly by the third week in May. Easily dealt with as the pods are well on their way by then, but usually none at all. Far too early for the late rising fly  :)
broadbeans2017.jpg
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 17:50 by victoria park »

xx
Do you sow broad beans outside or start off indoors ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2009, 17:09
by garddwr
xx
just sowed my beans

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:18
by Eristic
xx
leggy runner beans

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 08:33
by Rangerkris
xx
leggy runner beans

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2013, 07:30
by JayG

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 36 queries.