what's the best multi-purpose compost deal at the moment?

• 50 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
I've checked a few threads before asking this question, but not finding the info I want.  I would normally buy Verve as they do a 3 for 2 deal but have heard not such good things about it recently?  I need to buy about 1500 litres and I need a good deal, with delivery if poss.  Any advice?

Goosegirl

Re: what's the best multi-purpose compost deal at the moment?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:48 »
I put a post on recently about Which?'s Best Buy compost. Last year I tried MultiGro with added feed and water granules for pots etc, and it was great but presumably the ordinary one would do the same job for the garden. Don't know the best deals currently on offer but I would definitely haggle if you want to buy in bulk.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 12:51 »
Thanks GG - where did you find the Multi-grow?

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 18:01 »
We bought some MPC on offer from Wickes last year, it seems to be pretty good stuff so far but I cannot remember the price it was at, our local JTF have some leftover stock @ £3,49 per 50L, I haven't tried it but there was an opened bag and I managed to get my hand into the stuff and it felt like ok, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:46 »
Thanks GG - where did you find the Multi-grow?
The MiracleGro was in my local garden centre but should be widely available.

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 22:18 »
i've used verve for the last 2 years and found it spot on. did you hear bad things about it from your local area or right across the country?

i've used the cheap homebase mpc and it was absolute garbage and more expensive than verve.

i've also heard wickes used to awful but has apparently changed there mix/ supplier now to make it better.

i will be needing some mpc soon and would have got verve, but will now be listening with interest if it's taf.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 08:28 »
I would go into google and type verve compost revue, I do this with most things I buy nowerdays, Dave

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 10:39 »
I would go into google and type verve compost revue, I do this with most things I buy nowerdays, Dave

Compost quality changes year by year and reviews are fine with more recent batch purchases

i've also heard wickes used to awful but has apparently changed there mix/ supplier now to make it better.

I used to buy Wickes compost and never had problems with it.  I only switched to the (seasonal) Asda 3 for £10 because it was cheaper - again, can't say I had problems with those either.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 11:04 »
As the hiccup with the Wickes compost quality showed a few years ago, I reckon that with it being a very competitive market, and also the temptation to incorporate as much ex-council waste into the non peat-free products as possible, consistency has sometimes become a problem.

Having said that, I've had several bags of Verve compost over the past few years and the appearance and texture have been good. The 125L bags have always been much better value than the 60L bags, although rather worryingly I can't find the larger size listed on their website at the moment.

I always somehow manage to find a split bag of the type of compost I want to buy to check it out first.  ::)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2015, 11:21 »
I think I have the same Victorniox... ;)

3759allen

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 18:22 »
As the hiccup with the Wickes compost quality showed a few years ago, I reckon that with it being a very competitive market, and also the temptation to incorporate as much ex-council waste into the non peat-free products as possible, consistency has sometimes become a problem.

Having said that, I've had several bags of Verve compost over the past few years and the appearance and texture have been good. The 125L bags have always been much better value than the 60L bags, although rather worryingly I can't find the larger size listed on their website at the moment.

I always somehow manage to find a split bag of the type of compost I want to buy to check it out first.  ::)

think i'll stick to verve as i've never had a problem, i use it for everything from sowing seed to potting on. never let me down, i'll keep using it until it does.

it seems to be on their website now

http://www.diy.com/rooms/garden-garage/fertiliser-pest-control-compost/compost-soil-improvers/DIY823624.cat/page=2?&pageSize=48

think the price has increased by a pound or so from last year, still pretty cheap though really.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2015, 18:50 »
So it is: £4.61 for 60l,  £6.73 for 125l - no brainer unless the smaller ones are on a very special offer (or you have a bad back!  :wacko:)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2015, 19:16 »
So it is: £4.61 for 60l,  £6.73 for 125l - no brainer unless the smaller ones are on a very special offer (or you have a bad back!  :wacko:)

or you live in a house that doesn't have a road outside! Mostly that's wonderful - but sometimes it's a pain!  :dry:

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2015, 19:21 »
I've checked a few threads before asking this question, but not finding the info I want.  I would normally buy Verve as they do a 3 for 2 deal but have heard not such good things about it recently?  I need to buy about 1500 litres and I need a good deal, with delivery if poss.  Any advice?
I had an awful time last year with it, but might have been me.  Texture was really cheap and nasty and it dried out fast.  Spent a bit more this year on a bag of Joe-something from HBase. £5.99 I think for 60l but it's really close to home.

3759allen

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 21:18 »
if they do the 3 for £10 again this year it will work out roughly the same price, but i'm sure last year it was still cheaper buying 125's even when they were on offer but i could be wrong.

seems like a silly question but does compost have a best before date, or even better when it was made/ packaged?

just wondering if people have some unwittingly brought old batches that have been found in the back of a warehouse somewhere.

xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband
xx
Multi purpose compost

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 10:43
by courgette
xx
Homebase Multi purpose compost

Started by beanqueen on Grow Your Own

87 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 21:25
by viettaclark
xx
Multi purpose v seed compost

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2019, 09:14
by Lardman

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 39 queries.