HELP! Chicken hurt......

• 1 Replies

RICH_Chicken

HELP! Chicken hurt......
« on: October 31, 2012, 18:02 »
Hello all,

Bit of advice needed, I went up to run this morning to be greeted by the usual noise, everything was fine, then went to work. When I got back my friend had phoned and said your chicken has blood all over her head? I went to look and it has exactly that! I caught her and had a look it, the bird is an White Star so has a really long red floppy comb and there was a 'nick' on back of it, bit like a shaving cut? could this cause that much blood to cover her whole head? anyway I cleaned it up and put some anteseptic cream on the comb and around the head? I wanted to know what to do really and if i did the right thing? any ideas/advice or what might have caused it as im clueless?

Cheers

Rich
Rich_Chicken :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: HELP! Chicken hurt......
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 18:08 »
a cut to a comb does produce a huge loss of blood - but it always looks far worse than it is. When a fight breaks out with hens the main area that they go for is the comb - often they will jump on the back of another one and grab hold of the comb much like a cockerel does when mating.

A quick way to stop the bleeding is to apply wound powder or if you haven't any of that use cornflour in an emergency. Once hens see blood it can be a feeding frenzy and can lead to the death of the hen, so stopping the blood quickly is very important. Purple spray helps to disguise the redness but be careful not to get it near the eyes (squirt some onto a dish and apply with a cotton bud.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Chicken with hurt leg

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 19:35
by newChickenMummy
xx
Help - Hurt leg

Started by kegs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 09, 2011, 18:43
by kegs
xx
hurt leg

Started by terri on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 06:46
by hillfooter
xx
Maude got hurt

Started by Kiwi on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 00:22
by Kiwi

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 37 queries.