fig plant over winter?

• 7 Replies

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
fig plant over winter?
« on: October 26, 2012, 20:57 »
I bought a fig tree in the summer, it was about 2 foot in all directions and had leaves on, I planted it in a fabric bag, the sort you can buy to grow potatoes/asparagus in and put that in the ground as the tag said restrict root growth to get fruits.... Well after my hens had a nibble and a friend accidentally dropped something on it...its not looking good! The ground where I planted it is wet, I had hoped the plant would be big enough to survive the winter but I am not so sure, Do you think I should dig it up and find it a more suitable home for the winter and rethink its position next year or just leave it be?
I have a small baby so dont get much time to play in the garden!

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Re: fig plant over winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 22:42 »

I got a fig plant last year ,similar size to yours.

I dug a hole 2ftx2ft x2ft deep,I then lined the 4 sides with paving slabs and put

bricks in the bottom to a depth of about  8 inches ( this will restrict the roots ),they will just

go through the hessian bag, or use a large plant pot,the fig is against a south facing wall.

I then planted the fig and filled the hole so the roots were just below soil level.

With being enclosed on 5 sides you have to watch the soil doesn't dry out.

The leaves of mine have nearly all gone , I will put window frames around it to protect from   

the wind  and frost,or fleece if you have any.

I didn't have any figs this year but am hoping for some next year.

Cheers Carl

JamethielD

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:05 »
I'd be a bit worried about the wet roots having said that everything's soaked this year.

All I can really offer is to say that my B&Q rescue plant - Brown Turkey made it through winter 2010 in a pot and buried under a mountain of snow. All the snow slid off the roof - had to dig our way out a few times.

To get figs you need to get the wee figlets through the winter. This years tiny figs will be next years fruit.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13 »
My brown turkey fig is in a large pot by the house wall & has been for the last 7 years, seems to survive without any fleece or anything.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LilacSandy

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:03 »
Probably a silly question Sara, but you did make holes in the bottom of the bag to let the water drain?

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 21:05 »
Hmmmm good question, I assumed the bag would let the water in/out but not the roots....hmmmm I clearly was sleep deprived when I planted it!
Tomorrow - if the ground is not frozen, it will be dug up and given some TLC, I didnt realised the baby figs would be on now for next years figs....I doubt mine has any tiny figs as the hens got at it!
I have my eye on a lovely glazed pot it can live in against the house south facing back wall, nice and warm there and no hens!

Thanks guys,

I read on the tag about digging the hole and lining with slabs but I didnt have the strength to dig a huge hole!

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 22:47 »
If you mean the green fabric, they definitely have drainage holes in the bottom.

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 19:36 »
poor fig! dug it up and yes, your rigt the green fabric bag had holes in the bottom but it was one big bag of muddy water sloppy....yak!
I have shifted the fig into a pot and put it against a south facing wall to get the last of the sunshine for the year then will find in somewhere warm for the winter.
I dont think its chances are good!

xx
when to plant winter veg

Started by mike1987 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 10, 2010, 17:22
by compostqueen
xx
over winter chili plant

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2011, 11:50
by mumofstig
xx
WHAT CAN I PLANT IN BIG TUBS FOR WINTER

Started by landgirl on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 21, 2009, 10:23
by landgirl
xx
things to plant now and over winter

Started by elroy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 13, 2011, 15:54
by elroy

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 37 queries.