Laying a layer of leaves

• 6 Replies

timdunn

Laying a layer of leaves
« on: October 22, 2012, 23:46 »
Hello,

I was thinking of using the copious amounts of leaves I've just 'mown up' to mulch over the top of a recently dug bed. Planning to dig over again in the spring to incorporate the added organic matter and plant carrots and parsnips. Will the leaf litter have broken down enough to benefit the soil/veg or should I rake it off due to the risk of nitrogen depletion?

Thought this would benefit the worms and structure of a rather 'clayey' soil but perhaps I'm being naive?!

Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Tim

Fisherman

Re: Laying a layer of leaves
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 05:56 »
How quickly the leaves will break down depends on the type of leaves and the way they are stored. For example Oak leaves on their own piled up will take over 12 months to break down. I would recommend creating a compost heap mixing the leaves with other green and brown waste and then introduce an activator like some form of un-rotted or semi rotted manure. This will accelerate the composting process especially if you turn the heap over every now and again. If you manage to create a hot compost heap the leaves will rot down pretty quickly (3 or 4 months). Another tip is to cover the heap to stop it getting too wet and help retain the heat.

An alternative to the above would be to create a bean trench where you bury garden waste below the area where you are going to grow Runner Beans next year. This helps retain moisture for the plants, not that we needed that this year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:14 »
If they are chopped fine it would be OK, but larger pieces are very difficult to dig in come the Spring as they cluster on the fork tines  :blink:

I made this mistake just the once  :lol:

and of course as fisherman said, they take a long time to rot down
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:50 »
Ive made a leaf bin out of some stiff mesh, so far ive got 6 bags of leaves collected in it, there all chopped up via the garden vac, ive watered them and covered with a compst bag black side up.
Im looking forward to the results :)

SG6

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 14:07 »
I would lay them over and let them rot over the winter. Then just dig over and dig in any that are still of any size.

They may take some time if put in a bag to compost down but on an area of soil there are other bacteria, fungus and other things that will aid breakdown. Worms drag leaves down as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 14:57 »
I'd rot them too, in a wire bin. They slump down very quickly so you can keep adding to your stash  :) they do take awhile to rot down completely so you have to be patient. Have two bays or bags on the go, one full and one being filled. If you get my drift

timdunn

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 13:10 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've plenty of leaves so think I'll try a bit of both. I've a pretty healthy worm population so they'll hopefully process the majority of what's spread out by the spring.... If it doesn't get too cold that is!

Cheers, Tim

xx
Is it worth laying leaves over an alotment ?

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2015, 09:33
by Nobbie
xx
laying out a plot

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 22:52
by noshed
xx
whats next after manure laying

Started by earthmother on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2008, 11:26
by compostqueen
xx
Laying our a new veggie plot.

Started by tinlizzy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 26, 2008, 21:51
by happy chick

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 36 queries.