Which compost to buy?

• 4 Replies

Juli

Which compost to buy?
« on: October 22, 2012, 12:34 »
Hi everyone,

I've planted some hanging baskets, planters and have got quite a few things growing in the greenhouse. As a consequence I'm going through quite a lot of multipurpose compost. I was wondering whether anyone can recommend where to buy bags of compost from (preferably online and delivered) so it doesn't end up costing a fortune over time. But I also don't need 20 75L bags at once. So I'd like to buy in bulk, but not that much bulk  ;)

Also, I've got spinach and chard and such growing in the greenhouse and want to see how long I can keep them going over winter. When I plant them into bigger pots (they're in trays at the moment) do I just use multipurpose compost again, or can I maybe mix it with some garden soil to stretch it out a bit?

And before you say it, I know that the cheapest way is to make my own  :tongue2:  which I'm already doing but it's obviously going to take a while before I get usable compost. But when I do get to that point, do I just plant things up in the compost as it comes out of the compost bin, or do I need to mix it with anything again?

Thanks,
Juli

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Which compost to buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:42 »
These do free delivery when you spend £30
http://www.creativegardenideas.co.uk/cgi-product-catalogue/general-purpose-compost
Miracle-Gro, Levington and Murphy compost buy 2 getanotheronefree atm

and yes you can use garden soil when potting on  ;)

I've never used homemade compost for seed sowing as it usually contains a lot of weed seeds, someone else will know about that...................

crh75

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 15:41 »
I have never used my home-made compost for seeds.  As well as in the garden I do use it for filling the bottom half or so of larger pots to save on the bought stuff. 

To use for seeds, I guess I would seive it then mix with some horticultural sand to aid drainage.  But unless it was steralised weed seeds will germinate as well.  I have heard of someone microwaving compost to steralise it but that doesn't appeal to me!

Juli

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 15:56 »
Thank you both. I wasn't going to use my own compost for raising seeds, but it might be alright for planting on into larger pots, as by then it will be obvious what's veg and what's weed. But I also like the idea of using it in the bottom half and then filling up the top with bought compost.

I'll go have a look at the link you posted, mumofstig.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 17:22 »
I used a mixture of old and new MP compost for seed sowing and potting on this year and I did microwave the old compost first to kill any diseases and weed seeds.

I put it in a microwavable bag, and nuked it in stages so it heated through evenly; leave the top open or make a hole in it to let the steam out - hot enough to steam gently but not glowing in the dark is what you should be aiming for.

You can do the same with home-made compost, but make sure you let any worms and insects escape first unless you have very unusual tastes in snack food!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.832 seconds with 38 queries.