clearing weeds before winter?

• 14 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
clearing weeds before winter?
« on: October 21, 2012, 13:47 »
Hi all. My veg plot is covered in weeds of all types, having spent days clearing it in the spring. Is it best to dig them all out now? What happens to the bare earth? Is it too late to sow any type of green manure? The plot isn't massive - approximately 23 feet by 16 .  The only permanent fixture is some raspberry canes which I inherited from the previous owner. So if I clear the ground, and it's too late to sow green manure, would it be worth covering with some sort of weed suppression membrane around the rasps? otherwise I guess that weeds will start growing again?

Secondly, I don't know what variety the raspberries are and they are in two patches. I think they could be autumn variety as we had a good crop late august and september and much bigger berries than the fruits we harvested in the early part of the season. Do I cut all the canes down now, including both non-fruiting and fruiting stems?

thanks in advance for any help.

Kleftiwallah

Re: clearing weeds before winter?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 13:51 »

I have a row of swede and a row of turnip somewhere among the weeds on one bed.  I'm going to leave the weeds until the spring and dig them in then.

Rumour has it that the hard winter rains 'may damage the soil structure',  that's my excuse anyway. ::)

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 14:15 »
I was weeding a heavily weed infested potato patch yesterday, hoiking out the potatoes as I slowly progressed, standing on planks to protect the soil from compaction. The weeds came out far easier in the fairly damp earth but the docks were the awkwards ones with roots going down to the centre of the earth  >:(  It was a fine day yesterday so I reasoned better do it while the weather is not too awful as I hate freezing my bum off.  Also I needed the potatoes.  I think also that come spring you will want to have clear ground available for planting things in. Indeed you could get some onions, garlic, cabbs and caulis in now if you get it cleared.  You could certainly cover it if you choose to leave it fallow til Spring. You could cover it with well rotted muck or heavy duty sheet mulch, or a green manure (one not too hard to dig in!)

I'm never sure about what to do with rasps but I'm going to cut mine down back to just up from the base as they look like they need a trim  :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 17:06 »
I would concentrate on digging the weeds out if the soil isn't too wet - if it sticks to your boots then you run the risk of damaging the soil structure by walking on it.

Don't worry about green manure this year; there's not much which will work this late.  Most of us haven't grown green manure yet our plots cope perfectly well.

It's unlikely that the weeds will grow too strenuously over winter.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 18:25 »
Raspberries, summer fruiting,cut the canes down to the ground once they have fruited,the stem will look brown & older than the new growth that will be growing at the same time-that will bear fruit next year. Autumn fruiting- cut down in spring before any new growth starts,the fruit will be on that growth in the autumn. Keep weed free & give a mulch of home made compost or well rotted manure when you can.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 18:34 »
My veg plot is covered in weeds of all types, having spent days clearing it in the spring. Is it best to dig them all out now? What happens to the bare earth? Is it too late to sow any type of green manure?

My experience of green manures says that it is no a good idea to grow them on land that has a lot of weeds.  The weeds will grow too.

Remove the weeds and as much of their roots as possible and give it a hoe over as frequently as you can.

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 21:44 »
thanks all for your advice. Think I will try and clear as much as I can if possible. Had a few hours in there this afternoon and the going was not too bad - weeds coming out quite easily so will persevere. 

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 23:33 »
There was a good tip in this forum a few days ago for pruning raspberries if you are not sure if they are Summer or Autumn varieties.

Cut all the stems down to the ground that have fruited this year i.e. if you can see where  fruit was at the top of the stem cut it off at ground level.

With Autumn varieties that will be every stem. With Summer varieties this years new stems that have not flowered will be left to fruit next year.

Hamani

• I grow because I cook.
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 08:11 »
Just a note on green manure.

I put some crimson clover in last week and its germinated. I think there's a nice week or two coming up so it should get established by time the frosts really hit.

Clover is really dense too to blocks out the weeds well.

Also, this is the perfect time of year to get some japanese (over winter) onion sets and some garlic cloves in the ground. So get some ground cleared and get them in! 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 08:13 by Hamani »
“Humans possess an incredible ability to try again, infinite times.”

—    Me, feeling all philosophical.

Puenktchen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 13:09 »
Crimson Clover is probably not the best choice for sowing in autumn as it needs quite a while to establish and is not really winter-hardy (it will only survive in a mild winter which we don`t seem to have anymore).
A better choice for sowing in autumn are for example field beans, hungarian grazing rye or phacelia (phacelia covers the soil really quickly but will not survive a really hard winter so best so sow in September).
But it is too late now anyway to sow green manures, especially with the cold weather coming at the end of this week.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 15:26 »
Any weeds you can fork out now are that many weeds less that you don't have to fork out in spring. True, some will germinate and grow over winter but taking out the majority now is less work for all the numerous spring jobs that must be done.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 15:44 »
You could always cut down the weeds if they are long and then make some lasagne beds?

In theory, at least, you don't have to pull out all the weeds, but you may need to have quote a lot of composting material to hand.

Jim
British by birth, Scottish by the grace of God

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 17:39 »
If they are perennial weeds and you do not remove the root, they wil just grow back in spring.

There's no point in short-cuts.

RookieJim

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 19:14 »
Wise words as always, Yorkie  :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 19:58 »
Not sure about the "as always"  ;) :lol: ???

xx
What do you do after clearing a plot of weeds when it's the end of May?

Started by lemonstar on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 30, 2018, 12:44
by DHM
xx
Clearing the plot - what to do with those weeds?

Started by Green Finger on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 10, 2015, 22:01
by Green Finger
xx
clearing weeds advice?

Started by dan808 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 10, 2013, 13:24
by snow white
xx
Winter weeds

Started by Andrew n on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 09:40
by Salmo

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 36 queries.