Anemone × hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'

• 1 Replies

Grubbypaws

Anemone × hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:54 »
I have 3 anemone growing with verbena in a sunny bed next to the house, they were planted in 2011.

Two of the plants are thriving but the third is a very sorry specimen. It is only about 9" high with browning leaves and has struggled to flower. It has always been this way.

Does anyone know what the problem may be? Should i dig it up to protect the 2 healthy plants or should I give it another chance next year?

Being next to the house there is the possibility that it is planted in too much clay which seems to have been left by the builders and I am for ever digging out. Other possibility is it may get more of a watering from roof and drainpipes than the other two. Neither are evident but are possible. The worry is that it is diseased.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Anemone × hybrida 'Honorine Jobert'
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28 »
The dwarfing, leaves browning off and lack of flower suggest there is a problem with the root system to me. Sounds more like an environmental problem than a disease though.

I would dig the plant up and dig the soil underneath it.  If you come up with a big lump of clay, that could be it.  The roots would have not been able to penetrate down through it.  If that plant also gets the downpipe from the roof emptying next to it, waterlogging could be adding to the problem.

If you can improve the soil and add some drainage like grit, the plant should be fine to go back in.  Or you could take some root cuttings and grow a fresh batch of plants  :)

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 37 queries.