chicks...

• 1 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
chicks...
« on: October 18, 2012, 20:33 »
Hey,

my 2 week old chicks are avoiding the light slightly, they only go near it to sleep, but during the day they are all over the place, i moved them into the bigger cage today, as the smaller one i didn't think was adequate enough,

Even tho they are almost fully feathered, i don't think they're ready to come off the light completely, just wanted some opinions as i know when they move away from the light it means they don't want it any more..
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: chicks...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 21:24 »
They might be warm enough during the day but not overnight if they are huddling under the lamp at night. The weather has been a little warmer during the day so that might be the cause.  If you have a normal red heatlamp you can get a plug in dimmer to control the heat during the day.  These can not be used on the ceramic bulbs so you can lift the lamp higher during the day and lower it late afternoon.

They will need the heat lamp less and less over the coming weeks but usually need it to some degree for 6 weeks.  At this time of the year you may need it at night for a few more weeks depending on the weather. 

My chicks are 5 weeks old and quite feathered so they have the heat lamp on from around 5pm until 10am.  Then if it is a chilly day I leave it on.

Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj
xx
Can I put my old chicks next to my young chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 10:59
by nuzuki

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 36 queries.